|Rows and rows of bunks three high|
-Thought today would be a good day to to take a look at individual and teams statistics. The offensive struggles the team has been experiencing recently is certainly reflected in the statistics below.
- When you consider there are 28 teams in the ECHL, if a player is in the top fifteen in any statistical category that is quite impressive. Here are the top three in each category. The number in parentheses is the rank in the ECHL.
Points - Costello 39 (#1), Roy 21 (#43), Parker 20 (#55)
Goals - Costello 11 (#21), Parker 9 (#44), Steffes, Roy, Pierro-Zabotel 8 (#65)
Assists - Costello 28 (#1), Roy 13 (#55), King, Parker 11 (#89)
Power Play Goals - King, Roy, Steffes 4 (#15)
Power Play Assists - Costello 12 (#1), Gens 6 (#25), King, Roy 5 (#41)
Shorthanded Goals - Pierro-Zabotel, Stevenson, Pinkston 1 (#11)
Game Winning Goals - Roy 3 (#5), Arseneau, Makowski 2 (#22)
Penalty Minutes - Stevenson 62 (#22), Courtnall 53 (#35), Gens 43 (#55)
Plus/Minus - Hanson, +7 (#67), Pinkston +6 (#81), Doremus +4 (128)
Shots On Goal - Costello 88 (#16), Parker 61 (#111), Courtnall 60 (#115)
Points By Defenseman - Roy 21 (#3), Gens 14 (#29), Pinkston 10 (#61)
GAA - Rumpel 2.68 (#26), Gill 2.88 (#31)
Save Percentage - Rumpel .912 (#23), Gill .903 (#31)
- When I was putting the information above together what struck me was that other than Chad Costello the ECHL ranks are so much lower than last year. Here is the same list as above from exactly one year ago.
Points - Combs 48 (#1), Costello 44 (#2), Steffes 29 (#11)
Goals - Steffes 18 (#1), Combs & Costello 17 (#4)
Assists - Combs 31 (#1), Costello 27 (#2), Young 16 (#26)
Power Play Goals - Steffes 6 (#1), Schultz 5 (#3), Combs 4 (#13)
Power Play Assists - Combs 10 (#2), Costello & Tyler Ludwig 7 (#11)
Shorthanded Goals - Hanson 3 (#1), Asuchak, Baker, Combs 1 (#11)
Game Winning Goals - Combs 5 (#1), Hanson 4 (#5), Costello 3 (#9)
Penalty Minutes - Lyon 164 (#1), Gens 66 (#23), Clarke 61 (#30)
Plus/Minus - Costello +21 (#2), Trevor Ludwig & Hanson +20 (#3)
Shots On Goal - Combs 114 (#3), Steffes 98 (#8), Costello 88 (#20)
Points By Defenseman - Tyler Ludwig & Young 19 (#5), Baker 18 (#8)
GAA - Gill 2.44 (#9)
Save Percentage - Gill .917 (#7)
Here is how the Americans rank in the 28 team ECHL in some of the statistical categories. The first number is Allen's number and the second number is how they rank in the ECHL.
Win Percentage - .583 (#10)
Points - 35 (#9)
Average Goals For - 2.93 (#13)
Average Goals Against - 2.93 (#16)
Average Shot For - 27.37 (#24)
Average Shots Against - 30.30 (#18)
Power Play Percentage - 19.4% (#9)
Penalty Kill Percentage - 84.2% (#10)
Average Penalty Minutes - 18.80 (#3)
Win % When Scoring First - .882 (#4)
Team Plus/Minus - -39 (#18)
Goal Differential - 0 (#14)
- If you are interested in comparing here is the exact same information from one year ago.
Win Percentage - .759 (#3)
Points - 41 (#2)
Average Goals For - 4.33 (#1)
Average Goals Against - 2.67 (#2)
Average Shot For - 34.07 (#1)
Average Shots Against - 29.00 (#10)
Power Play Percentage - 20.3% (#6)
Penalty Kill Percentage - 88.3% (#2)
Average Penalty Minutes - 22.81 (#1)
Win % When Scoring First - .875 (#4)
Team Plus/Minus - +164 (#1)
Goal Differential - +45 (#1)
FORMER PLAYER UPDATES:
Haven't taken a look at how some of the former Allen Americans players are doing for a while so here is the latest. This isn't a complete list but covers a lot of the guys from the past.
- Spencer Asuchak is playing in the AHL this year for the Chicago Wolves. In 24 games he has just four points (3 goals 1 assist). The strange thing is he got all three of his goals in one game. Chicago is currently in sixth place in the eight team Central Division.
- Jamie Schaafsma is playing for the Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL) this year and is the captain of the team. He has played in 27 games and has seven points (3 goals 4 assists). Jamie is a notorious slow starter which was the case again this year as he had no goals and just two assists in his first 17 games with the Komets. In his last six games Jamie has five points (3 goals 2 assists) and has started to catch fire as usual. Fort Wayne is currently in third place in the Midwest Division but just like Jamie has gotten hot recently. They have won three games in a row and have outscored their opponents in the three games 14-3.
- Trevor Ludwig is the captain of the Missouri Mavericks and is having a great season. His team is the best team in the ECHL with a record of 23-3-0-1. Trevor already has 10 points (2 goals 8 assists). He had 15 points in the entire season last year.
- Colton Yellow Horn is definitely the world traveler of all the former Allen Americans. Since leaving Texas after the 2011-12 season he has played in California, New Hampshire, Hungary, Japan and the Czech Republic. This year he is playing for a team in the Czech Republic (Orli Znojmo) which plays in the Austrian League. In 36 games Colton has 41 points (18 goals 23 assists) and not only leads his team in scoring but leads the entire league in scoring. His team is currently in fourth place in the 12 team league.
- Brian McMillin plays in the top French league (Ligue Magnus) for the Ducs de Dijon (Dijon Dukes). Brian has 12 points (7 goals 5 assists) in 22 games. His team is currently in last place in the 14 team league.
- Jarret Lukin plays for the Evansville IceMen and is the captain of the team. He has been plagued by injuries this season and has played in only eight games all year and has no goals and five assists. Evansville is in last place in the Midwest Division.
- Darryl Bootland (4 goals 9 assists) is playing his usual role of agitator supreme for the Colorado Eagles. He leads the ECHL in penalty minutes (117) and has already had 10 fights including a go with Allen's Dyson Stevenson and Vincent Arseneau. He is also an alternate captain on the team. After a slow start to the season Colorado has won six of their last eight games and is currently in third place in the West Division.
- Trevor Hendrikx (1 goals 8 assists) plays for Cardiff (Wales) and is one of, if not the most popular player on the team. He is an alternate captain for the Devils. His team is currently in first place in the EIHL. Trevor leads the league in penalty minutes with 177 in 36 games.
- Scott Howes (10 goals 8 assists) has 18 points in 21 games for the Brampton Beast (ECHL). Brampton is currently in last place in the North Division.
- Alex Lavoie is playing for the Indy Fuel (ECHL) this year and is the leading scorer on the team. He has 24 points (8 goals 16 assists) in 30 games. Indy is currently in fourth place in the Midwest Division.
- Jonathan Lessard has played in 26 games and has 12 points (6 goals 6 assists) for the Norfolk Admirals (ECHL). Norfolk is in last place in the East Division.
- Kale Kerbashian plays for the Rapid City Rush and has played in just 15 games (2 goals 6 assists) because of injury. The Rush are currently in fourth place in the Western Division.
- Jack Combs is signed to a one way contract with the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) but has spent most of the season with the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (ECHL). He has 31 points (15 goals 16 assists) in 26 games for Greenville. His 15 goals is tied for the ECHL lead. The Swamp Rabbits are currently in fourth place in the South Division. Jack was just recalled by Hartford on Sunday.
- Garrett Klotz is playing for the Elmira Jackals (ECHL) this year and has two assists in 26 games. The single season record holder in penalty minutes (257) for the Allen Americans leads the Jackals in penalty minutes with 71. He has had nine fights so far this season. Elmira is currently in third place in the East Division.
DID YOU KNOW: There were 36 different players on the Allen Americans roster in the inaugural season of 2009-2010. Only three of them are still playing professional hockey.
Jordie Benn - Dallas Stars (NHL)
Jarret Lukin - Evansville IceMen (ECHL)
Colton Yellow Horn - Orli Znojmo (In the Czech Republic but part of the Austria League)