- The Allen Americans will be back at regular practice today after having Sunday off and a change of schedule (practice was at 8:15 am) on Monday to accommodate the first of what will be an annual "Icebreaker Golf Tournament." Coach Martinson sees the practices this week as very important to work on system issues and correct some of the problems that surfaced in the first two games.
- Speaking of the Inaugural Icebreaker Tournament heard there was a good turnout and the guys had a lot of fun. Riley Gill, who is by consensus the best golfer on the team, won the longest drive contest.
- The team should leave for Rapid City Wednesday evening where they will play the Rush on Friday and Saturday. Rapid City is currently leading the ECHL Central Division with five points however they have played four games while all of the other teams in the division have only played two games.
- The ECHL is down to three teams that have a perfect record (Fort Wayne 5-0, Evansville 2-0 and Tulsa 2-0).
- Brampton (0-2) and Missouri (0-2) are the only two teams in the ECHL that have not gotten a point.
- It is still too early to look at attendance as most teams have had only one or two home dates but the best attendance in the ECHL at this point goes to Fort Wayne who is averaging 8451 while Elmira is at the bottom with an average of 2308. The seven teams that moved from the CHL have the following ranks out of the 28 ECHL teams. Missouri is not included as they don't have their home opener until November 8th.
Tulsa - 4th (7744)
Wichita - 5th (7004)
Allen - 15th (5006)
Quad City - 21st (4291)
Rapid City - 25th (3506)
Brampton - 26th (2710)
- Some former Allen Americans lead the ECHL in a few statistical categories. Darryl Bootland (2012-2014) leads the ECHL in penalty minutes with forty. Bryce Aneloski, who played seven games in the 2012-2013 playoffs for Allen as an amateur before getting hurt, leads the ECHL in plus/minus with a +8. Jonathan Lessard (2013-2014) has two game winning goals which is tops in the ECHL.
- Allen Americans on the ECHL leader board include:
Greger Hanson is tied for 2nd in goals scored (4)
Greger Hanson is tied for 3rd in points (7)
Greger Hanson is tied for first in shorthanded goals (1)
Ian Schultz is tied for second in power play goals (2)
Hanson is also only one of three players that have had a hat trick
- The seven new ECHL teams are now 1-5 against the "old" teams. There are four more games this weekend and then the seven new teams will only be playing each other for close to two months with one exception. Between November 2nd and December 29th the only game between new and old is a December 7th game where the Wheeling Nailers travel to Brampton.
- For Allen fans it will be a steady diet of playing Tulsa and Wichita. The Americans have twelve games in November and six of them are against Tulsa or Wichita. It gets worse in December as eight of thirteen games are against Tulsa and Wichita. The team will be home almost the entire month of December. They have only five road games but four of them are in Tulsa (the other is Wichita) which does not require an overnight.
- Anthony Maiani (2012-2014) who is playing in Denmark leads his team in scoring with nine points (3 goals, 6 assists) in eight games. His team is in sixth place in a ten team league.
- Bryan Pitton (2013-2014) continues to have an outstanding year in goal for his team in Poland. He has played in ten regular season games and has a GAA of 1.72 and save percentage of .943. His team is tied for third place in a ten team league.
- According to Elite Prospects Allen is on average one of the shortest teams in the ECHL. They rank 25th of the 28 ECHL teams in height. The difference between teams in average height is very small with Elmira at the top with an average height of 73.64 inches and Brampton at the bottom at 72.17 inches. Allen is at 72.26 inches.
- When it comes to weight Allen ranks 5th when you look at average weight in the league. Allen's average weight is 195 pounds. Ontario is the heaviest team in the league at just under 200 pounds while Bakersfield is the lightest at 187 pounds.
- According to hockeydb and the Allen Americans web site team roster the lightest guy on the team is Devin Di Diomete at 176 pounds. Would guess that weight is from his days in juniors playing for the Sudbury Wolves. Probably 30 pounds light. C'MON MAN!
- The Americans are the fourth oldest team in the league according to Elite Prospects with an average age of 26.33 years. The oldest team in the ECHL is the Rapid City Rush at 27.09 years while the youngest team is the Indianapolis Fuel at 23.62 years. The top five in the oldest team category are all from the prior CHL teams. (Rapid City, Tulsa, Wichita, Allen, Missouri).
DID YOU KNOW: Haven't seen this discussed and it is a long way off but did you know players must play a minimum of five (5) regular season ECHL games to be eligible for inclusion on the playoff roster. The CHL rule was three games. Furthermore, players on two way AHL contracts must have appeared in five (5) AHL regular season games, however, at the discretion of the ECHL team, up to two (2) AHL two way contracted players may be exempt from this requirement. Veteran players on a two way AHL contract must have appeared in at least 10 AHL regular season games. There are no exemptions permitted for these players.