It is difficult to call the second game of the season an important game but after the disappointing home opener 9-6 loss to Tulsa the Allen Americans really needed a win last night in Wichita and that is exactly what they got. After traveling all night from Allen to take on a well rested Thunder team in their home opener the Americans came away with a 5-3 victory before 7004 disappointed fans at Intrust Bank Arena. The Allen Americans have a history of playing well on the road and bouncing back after tough losses and they showed both in Wichita.
- Steve Martinson's post game comment, "It was a better effort tonight than we had against Tulsa however, we are still not where we need to be. Our high end, established, experienced players need to lead by example and that is not happening."
- Allen has plenty of offensive power and that was again apparent as they were able to score five goals with two by Gary Steffes and one each by Tyler Ludwig, Brian McMillin and Ian Schultz. The difference in the game was the defense with Allen only allowing three goals and allowing no goals in the critical third period.
- In their first two games Allen has a shots on goal advantage of 71-53. Generating offense will not be a problem for this team. The key to success will be the dedication to defense.
- Special teams always play a key role in success and last night was no exception. Allen had two power play goals last night and after two games the Americans are 5/12 (41.7%) on the power play. After giving up two power play goals to Tulsa on Friday night the penalty kill unit was perfect last night as the Thunder went 0/5 with their power play chances.
- Greger Hanson continued his torrid scoring pace with two assists and is tied for second in the ECHL in goals scored (4) as well as points (7). Costello, McMillin and Steffes also had two point nights.
- With his two goals including the game winner Gary Steffes was selected as the #1 star of the game. Chad Costello (two assists) was the #2 star.
- After two games there is only one player in the plus column for the Americans when looking at the plus/minus statistic. Captain Jamie Schaafsma is +1.
- It is only a week into the ECHL season and the Central Division started late but there are only three teams in the league that have not earned a point. Wichita and Brampton are both 0-1 while Missouri is 0-2. Missouri is the biggest surprise as they have a great line up, however, in their first two games they have only scored three goals while allowing eleven.
- The seven new teams have not fared too well thus far against the older ECHL teams. They are 1-4 with the only victory being the Rapid City 5-1 win over Colorado. Next chance for a victory is today (Sunday) as Toledo is in Brampton to take on the Beast.
- The Americans do not play again until next weekend when they head to Rapid City to take on the Rush in back to back games Friday and Saturday. The next home game isn't until November 8.
DID YOU KNOW: There are only three teams in the ECHL that are still undefeated, Fort Wayne (4-0), Evansville (2-0) and Tulsa (1-0).