The snow storm the Allen Americans ran into in Colorado on their way to play the Eagles which caused a seven hour delay and a visit by a tow truck should have been a sign of things to come. The Americans ran into a storm when they hit the ice to play Colorado last night. Another poor start for Allen getting just four shots in the first period and then allowing three unanswered goals in the second period in a span of six minutes, including a power play goal and a shorthanded goal. The final score was 4-1 as Allen broke up what appeared to be the second consecutive 4-0 shutout (they beat Wichita 4-0 in their last game) for the Eagles with just 46 seconds left in the game. Two former Eagles figured in the goal as Chad Costello assisted on a power play goal by Jonathan Parker.
To make matters worse the Americans got held up by weather after the game as they started their trek to Boise, Idaho (764 miles) where they play the Steelheads Friday and Saturday night. Ice and wind closed the roads so they had to turn back. It is going to be a long day for the boys! In normal conditions the trip is 13 hours.
STEVE MARTINSON'S POST GAME COMMENTS
- Our power play was bad tonight (1-6) as we had guys standing around trying to make plays that were not there. Forcing pucks resulted in turnovers and that is what led to the shorthanded goal.
- We just didn't have enough guys skating tonight. Plain and simple we got outworked.
- I will look at the tape but we had poor coverage with guys not going to the right area or not taking the right man which resulted in goals. It is something we have to continue to work on and improve.
"We need to be better. We were outworked for the first two periods and dug ourselves a big hole we couldn't get out of.".....Chad Costello
"I thought we worked for our bounces and they are starting to come our way. It is not like the ones we are putting in are a thing of beauty, but we worked hard and got those bounces."..... Colorado coach Chris Stewart
"I think the first period it is just persistence on the puck and then a couple of tweaks we make in intermission. It just comes together and we start to break them down. I think that may be a key to why the second period is in our favor." .....Eagles forward Kyle Ostrow
- As predicted the game was a penalty filled affair with a total of 20 penalties and 66 penalty minutes including six fighting majors.
- The Americans have not had 10 shots in the first period in any of their last eight games. They have averaged just six shots on goal in the first period over the last eight games.
- After the loss to Colorado the Americans have dropped to the ninth best winning percentage in the ECHL at .620. Allen is 5-4-1-0 in their last ten games.
DID YOU KNOW: In December of 2012 while playing for the Colorado Eagles, Chad Costello accomplished the rarest of scoring feats when he had a hat trick of all shorthanded goals. That has only been accomplished once in the history of the NHL (Theo Fleury - 1991). Check out these highlights.