- Allen and Wichita have played five times this season with the Thunder winning three times. The teams split shootout victories back in October with Wichita winning the last two times they have met.
- Here is the team by team comparison:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wichita Thunder Allen Americans RESULT OF LAST GAME WIN 4-2 vs BRM LOSS 3-5 vs DEN GAMES PLAYED 48 48 RECORD 22-22-4 26-18-4 POINTS 48 56 HOME RECORD 9-12-2 13-8-3 AWAY RECORD 13-10-2 13-10-1 SHO RECORD 5-1 4-3 LAST 10 GAMES 6-4-0 2-8-0 LAST 5 GAMES 3-2-0 0-5-0 OCTOBER 1-2-2 5-0-1 NOVEMBER 3-9-2 7-6-0 DECEMBER 7-4-0 5-4-1 JANUARY 7-4-0 8-1-2 FEBRUARY 4-3-0 1-7-0 SCORING FIRST 10-7-1 15-6-3 LEADING AFTER 1ST 9-5-0 11-6-0 LEADING AFTER 2ND 11-4-1 16-2-3 TIED AFTER 1ST 9-10-1 9-4-3 TIED AFTER 2ND 6-7-2 8-4-1 TRAILING AFTER 1ST 4-7-3 6-8-1 TRAILING AFTER 2ND 5-11-1 2-12-0 WHEN OUTSHOOTING OPPONENT 10-14-2 14-10-1 1 - GOAL GAMES 12-5-4 12-3-4 GOALS FOR PER GAME 3.06 3.50 GOALS AGAINST PER GAME 3.19 3.31 SHOTS FOR PER GAME 30.40 33.71 SHOTS AGAINST PER GAME 29.67 32.38 POWER PLAY RECORD 43 - 212 20.3% 43 - 243 17.7% PENALTY KILLING RECORD 41 - 201 79.6% 45 - 256 82.4% SH GOALS FOR 4 8 SH GOALS AGAINST 6 7 PIM AVERAGE 14.85 23.27 SCORING BY PERIODS 1ST 2ND 3RD OT TOTAL Wichita 42 51 47 7 147 Opponents 37 55 57 4 153 Allen 49 62 52 5 168 Opponents 48 48 59 4 159
- Both teams have given up more goals in the third period than they have scored so having a lead going into the third period will be crucial. When trailing after the second period Allen's record is 2-12. Allen is 15-6-3 when scoring the first goal of the game.
- If you are looking for a player to have a big game tonight based on the first five games against Wichita it would be Kale Kerbashian. In the five games Kale has had nine points (3 goals 6 assists). Jonathan Lessard leads the team in goals against Wichita with four.
- Three of the four leading scorers for Allen in their last five games (all losses) are defensemen. Zion (6 points), Berube (5 points), Lavoie (4 points), & Ludwig (3 points). This will have to change if the Americans are to be successful.
- Wichita has a losing home record (9-12-2) but many of the losses were earlier in the season. They have won five of their last six home games.
- Special teams will be a key in the game tonight. Allen needs to play physical against a Wichita team that is also physical but the Americans need to avoid penalties. Allen has been having trouble lately killing penalties(72.9%) and the Thunder have one of the better power plays in the league (20.3%).
- The CHL had a nice article about the season Alex Lavoie is having. If you haven't seen it here it is:
It has been quite a rookie season for Allen Americans forward Alex Lavoie who began the year with three goals in his first four games and hasn’t looked back since. The Anjou, Quebec native currently sits eighth in the league overall with 61 points (24-37=61 in 48 games) and is running away with the rookie scoring title sitting 14 points ahead of Tulsa’s Adam Pleskach (29-18=47 in 47 games).
Lavoie has been a big part of the Americans power play with five goals and 14 assists on the man advantage this season. He also has tallied four game winning goals and is a +8. Consistency has been one of the finer points of the first-year player's game with eight points in six games in October and then double-digit point totals in November, December and January. He currently has seven points in eight games this month. In January, Lavoie was named the CHL Rookie of the Month after totaling six goals and eight assists and recoding a +12 in 11 games. The Americans have had their ups and downs as a team but Lavoie, mixed in with the veteran the team boasts, could be the right combination for a repeat of last year’s CHL title.
- Aaron Dell signed a PTO (Professional Try Out) contract with the Abbotsford Heat (AHL) yesterday. Not sure of the circumstances of the signing (injury or call up of a Abbotsford goalie) but let's hope Aaron, who has been playing great in Utah (ECHL), gets a chance to play in Abbotsford.
- John Snowden had a goal and assist last night and was named the games #3 star as his Chill team lost in Brampton by a score of 5-4.
-The best matchup in the league this weekend takes place in Denver as the Cutthroats take on the Mavericks twice. They are the top two teams in the standings and they are the two hottest teams in the league. Denver has a five game win streak and Missouri has a four game win streak.
DID YOU KNOW: Bruce Graham has had two 30 goal seasons for the Americans in 2009-2010 (31) & 2010-2011 (34). There has not been a 30 goal scorer since the 2010-2011 season though Alex Lavoie is on pace to score 33 goals this year.