- In six of the last eight games the Americans have given up the first goal of the game. It is difficult to always play from behind. Statistically the team that scores the first goal wins about two thirds of the time.
- The Americans continue to struggle when playing at even strength. The even strength score in the game was 3-0 in favor of Brampton. Peeling back the statistical onion this season exposes even strength scoring as the biggest issue for this team. Looking at the top seven teams in the standings only one (other than Allen) is in the minus category in plus/minus. Here are the figures based on place in the standings with the team's points in parentheses .
Allen (15) -27
Rapid City (14) +61
Denver (13) +38
Missouri (12) +49
Brampton (11) -6
Tulsa (6) +23
Quad City (5) +6
- Another way to describe the plus/minus or even strength problems the Americans are dealing with is the team leader in plus/minus for Allen is Darryl Bootland who is a plus two which ranks him tied for 47th in the league in plus/minus.
- Special teams continue to work in the favor of the Americans and they won that battle by scoring a power play goal and a shorthanded goal. Spencer Asuchak's shorthanded goal in the first period was the third for Allen this season (10 games).
- Alex Lavoie gave his mom (Christine) something to cheer about even in a losing cause. Christine traveled to Brampton from her home in the Montreal area to see the Americans live for the first time. Alex didn't disappoint as with his goal and assist last night he has taken over the team lead in scoring with 13 points (5 goals 8 assists). His 13 point ranks him second in the CHL in scoring.
|Alex Lavoie leads the team in scoring, leads all CHL rookies in scoring and is 2nd in the CHL in scoring - photo by SceneByKimberly.com|
- Trevor Hendrikx and Phil Fox were off IR and back in the line up for Allen last night. Dallas Ehrhardt was a healthy scratch and did not play.
- CHL attendance figures continue to lag last year averages by close to 500 per game. The league-wide average is down to 3237 per game. The game last night with 2024 in attendance was held down partially because it was scheduled midweek. The games tonight (Friday) and Sunday will draw more fans.
- Former Allen player Tyler Wooddisse (2009-2010) surprised Tommy Daniels by dropping by the radio booth between periods last night. Tommy took advantage of Tyler's visit to reminisce about the great season the Americans had that first year.
- One of the bloggers associated with the Missouri Mavericks tweeted that John Snowden's wife started following him on twitter yesterday. Coincidentally, that happened with me about a week before the Americans announced Snowden had been signed by Allen. Not sure if this means John will sign with Missouri but it would be a great place to play if it happens. I don't think Missouri has a veteran slot available so they would have to cut a veteran if they added Snowden.
- Arizona is mired in last place in the CHL with a 1-6-1 record so first year coach Kevin Colley is already making wholesale changes to turn things around. The latest change is releasing goalie Cam Lanigan and signing Brad Fogal who was recently released by Allen. Defensemen Jeff Buvinow was signed on Tuesday. Five position players have been let go by the Sundogs in the last ten days. With two games this weekend against the Rapid City Rush in Rapid City the task of getting out of the celler doesn't get any easier.
DID YOU KNOW: November is birthday month for the Americans. In addition to Bootland's on November 2nd, Alex Lavoie turns 21 on the 17th, Spencer Asuchak celebrates his 22nd birthday on the 22nd, and Garrett Klotz turns 25 on the 27th.