-For those of you that want to listen to the Americans game on your smart phone the TuneIn application is now available. Last year you could go to "Allen Americans" on TuneIn to get the broadcast. This year that may or may not work. In the information from the Americans it directs fans to Hot 107.3 FM to get the broadcast.
- The Beast signed two defensemen yesterday with the headline, "Beast Add Size, Strength, and Depth to the Backend." Here is a portion of the press release:
The Brampton Beast announced on Wednesday the signing of defensemen Ben Woodley and Dylan Quaile. The pair will suit up for the Beast for the upcoming three game set versus the defending Central Hockey League champions, Allen Americans.
- Heard from a couple of readers after the post yesterday about all of the connections between Allen and Brampton. Always appreciate hearing from those that read the blog. One pointed out that Jeff Martens has recently been released (11/4) by the Beast and the other shared that Bryan Pitton was not only from Brampton he played his junior hockey in Brampton for the team that preceded the Brampton Beast at the Powerade Centre, the Brampton Battalion.
- Should be interesting to listen to the broadcast tonight and hear the stories Tommy Daniels has about his own travels to Toronto as he was able to spend a few days in his hometown (Buffalo) before meeting up with the team in Toronto this morning. I'm sure Tommy will also share some of the family and friend stories taking place this week. As I mentioned yesterday many of the players will have friends and family at the game. Not an exhaustive list but I know David Brown, Bryan Pitton, Darryl Bootland, Jamie Schaafsma, Alex Lavoie, and Kale Kerbashian will have family at the games. Add in the Americans fans making the trip to Brampton and it should be a nice size group representing Allen.
- Had a conversation with new owners Mark & Kimberly Miller after a recent game and they shared with me they are close to having a new Allen Americans web site up and running. The hope is this will be available by the end of November. As many fans have shared with me the inadequacies of the current web site it is reassuring that the Americans are trying to upgrade the current site. My sense in talking to Mark is the site will be a priority in the future and fans can look for continuous improvement.
- I periodically get asked about players that were at training camp that were the last to get cut by the team this year so here is an update:
Charles Lachance - Charles played three games for the Americans before being waived and then played one game for Tulsa before being waived. He is now with the Mississippi River Kings (SPHL) and has played three games without scoring.
Eric Levine - Eric was the last goalie cut by the Americans in training camp and the rookie then went to camp with the Toledo Walleye (ECHL) and made their team. He did not get into a game with Toledo and was cut yesterday and was signed by the Peoria Rivermen (SPHL).
Chad Thibodeau - After being cut by the Americans Chad has signed to play his last year of junior hockey with the Wellington Dukes (OJHL).
- Even though Wichita and Tulsa can't trade players with each other because they have the same owners it does not prevent them with finding other ways to to do business. Wichita has recently signed Tomas Klempa and Thomas Beauregard after they were waived by Tulsa. I know some have given Tulsa a hard time about them being Wichita's farm team but that is not the case based on the 4-0 beat down the Oilers put on the Thunder last night while out shooting them 33-17.
- Brad Fogal has signed to play for the Arizona Sundogs and prove how strange the goalie position is in professional hockey. Check this out for a real goalie musical chairs. Allen goalie from last year (Aaron Dell) leaves Allen to play for the Utah Grizzlies. The Americans sign Brad Fogal from the defunct Ft. Worth Brahmas to replace Aaron Dell. The Grizzlies goalie from the last two years (Andrew Engelage) leaves Utah and signs with the Arizona Sundogs. The Sundogs release David Brown (goalie from last year) to make room for Engelage. The Americans release Brad Fogal and sign David Brown. Brad Fogal then signs with Arizona.
DID YOU KNOW: The all time leader in penalty minutes in minor pro hockey is Jason Clarke with 4925 minutes. Lot's of coaches on the top 100 list including Tulsa Oilers coach Bruce Ramsay who is 11th all time with 3785 minutes and Americans coach Steve Martinson who is 71st all time with 2527 minutes. Darryl Bootland is 92nd all time with 2370 minutes so he is obviously great coaching material.