|League MVP Thinel Avoids Suspension & Will Play Tonight - photo by chlphotos.com|
Sebastien Thinel will be in the lineup at 7:05 tonight when his Missouri Mavericks play host to Allen in the fourth game of the best-of-seven Central Hockey League semifinal series against the top-seeded Allen Americans. The Mavericks captain, who is second in postseason scoring with 12 points, was given a five-minute major and 10-minute match penalty for intent to injure with 3:53 left in overtime of the Americans 3-2 victory Wednesday night at the Independence Events Center.
The penalty gave the Americans their second 5-on-3 opportunity in overtime and Trevor Hendrikx scored the game-winning goal at 18:01 to give Allen a 2-1 series lead. The 10-minute match penalty was reviewed by the league and could have resulted in a suspension. "I got a text from (Mavericks coach Scott Hillman) saying I wasn't going to be suspended, which is good news," Thinel said Thursday evening. "Now I can just go out and play and not worry about a suspension. I didn't think I would get suspended, but you never know."
With the Mavericks penalty-kill unit on the ice, a scramble in front of the Allen net resulted in bodies flying. Thinel and Darryl Bootland got tangled up and went down in front of the net.
"Bootland has his hand on my face, jamming it into the ice, and I know Bootland, I've known him a long time," Thinel said. "I reached up and grabbed his beard. I was trying to get up off the ice. I guess the official saw some of his beard on the ice and felt like that was intent to injure.
"I was just trying to get him off me and his beard was there."
- Saw this Bryce Aneloski tweet: Got my cast off which was a positive but in a brace for 6 more weeks. Going to be a process, just wanna be healthy. Good to see Bryce is on the road to recovery. Sure hope he returns to Allen next season.
- If you didn't watch the Wednesday game on CHL TV you missed a great game. If you didn't watch the game with other Americans fans you missed a great experience. If you want to really get in the spirit join in at one of the numerous watch parties tonight. Here is where you can go:
1. Boston's (off 121 in McKinney) - this is the "official" watch party so it is where those connected to the team will be. Details should come out today if there are any special appearances or activities planned.
2. Allen Wickers Pub (off 75 in Plano) - this group I am picking as the most energetic, rowdy and fun. If you like to hoot and holler, yell and scream this is the place to go. I call this one the "drummer group" and they have arranged for some food and drink specials.
3. 5th Street Pizza (off 75 in Allen) - this is the watch party for the official Americans fan club group and will also be a lot of fun. These folks are diehard fans really dedicated to the team. Don't have any other details on this one
4. Heritage Ranch Outpost (off Stacy Rd. in Fairview) - this is the watch party sponsored by the Heritage Ranch Americans fan club. Just go to the clubhouse and ask where the Outpost is located. We had 30 people Wednesday night.
Check back later in the day as I will update this information if I get any thing else from the groups mentioned above.
- Wichita took a commanding lead in the other semifinal last night with a 3-0 victory over Fort Worth at NYTEX Centre. Wichita now leads the series 3-0 and has an opportunity to sweep the Brahmas Saturday night at NYTEX.
- Wouldn't want to have too many days go by without mentioning what might happen to the CHL in the off season. I saw a post on chlforums.com and while there is not anything new here it just reminds me that you hear more and more of this type of information from various team officials. Yes, these are just rumors at this time and I know this happens every year but it is starting to sound like something is going to happen. Anyway, here is what I saw: After the Colorado Eagles lost their last playoff game, there was a post game interview done with coach Stewart. He stated something to the affect that - Eagles fans would be excited about next year, with the renewal of an old rivalry, and closer travel opportunities for away games. He said the information would be coming out soon. I assume soon means after the CHL playoffs are over?