The big surprise at the Allen Americans practice yesterday was to see Spencer Asuchuk step on the ice. Spencer was at the AHL camp with the Toronto Marlies and wasn't expected back before next week. The Marlies have an abundance of forwards in their system. They reduced their roster by 11 players Tuesday afternoon and Asuchak was one of them. I talked to Spencer after practice and learned he scored two of his team's four goals in a scrimmage in the morning and then got released in the afternoon. Just shows how difficult it is when guys go to AHL camps on tryout agreements. There is little doubt Spencer will get AHL call ups this season.
- Coach Martinson is beginning to focus on the team he will take to Wichita for the exhibition game on Saturday. It will be a mix of the regulars and the tryout players in camp. The expectation is the players at camp with San Jose will play in the Barracuda's exhibition game against Tuscon tonight and then return to Allen tomorrow. Most likely the tryout players that do not make the trip to Wichita on Saturday will be released.
- My view is the competition during this training camp is not which tryout guys might make the roster. With so many good players already signed and the possibility of getting 4-6 players assigned by San Jose, the competition for playing time is between players the fans are familiar with. The players assigned by San Jose you can be assured will play as they are being sent to Allen for development. This means some of the Allen signed players may have to start the season on reserve or as healthy scratches. This team has so much depth, the competition for playing time will be fierce.
- The San Jose Barracuda have three goalies in camp (Troy Groesnick, Mantas Armalis, Jamie Murray) and it is expected that one of them will be assigned to Allen. In reading the information from bloggers and websites in San Jose, that will most likely be Jamie Murray who was outstanding in the four games he played in Allen last season with a GAA of 1.44 and save percentage of .963.
- Photos from day three of training camp courtesy of Dianne Webster:
|Joel Chouinard will play big minutes for the Americans|
|Riley Gill with his eyes on the puck|
|Listen up boys!|
|Spencer Asuchak is back, along with his scoring touch|
NUTS AND BOLTS
- The AEC staff was finally able to start the process of installing the ice in the main rink. They were painting the lines yesterday.
- The season ticket holder event planned for Sunday to pick up season tickets has been cancelled because of Hurricane Matthew. In case you haven't seen it here is what the team sent out yesterday:
"We apologize in advance, but shipment of our ticket books has been delayed due to Hurricane Matthew off the coast of southeastern Florida. Our ticket books are coming in from Boynton Beach, Florida which is currently in a state of emergency as the hurricane moves in a path towards the outbound shipping point. As a result, Sunday’s Allen Event Center pickup event scheduled from noon to 4 PM is now cancelled."
"Barring further shipping complications, we will have our first scheduled pickup on Wednesday, October 12th beginning at 2 PM, here at Allen Event Center. We will be open on Wednesday until 8 PM and will open again on Thursday and Friday 10 AM to 8 PM. Please enter at the AEC Glass Rotunda Entrance. For those that can’t pick-up on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday of next week you will be able to pick-up at a Season Ticket table adjacent to the Allen Event Center Box Office during opening weekend, beginning at noon on Saturday October 15th. Again we very much apologize for the delay as we have looked at all possible alternative shipping options.
Thank you for your understanding and patience."
- The Allen Americans official fan club asked that I share this info with everyone. This group does so much for the the players they deserve your support.
The Allen Americans fan club is running at full speed getting ready for the #Drivefor5. Training camp is in progress and the guys are being welcomed back and being served breakfast. We have some exciting new items for sale this upcoming season along with some awesome items for raffle. We look forward to seeing all of you and appreciate all your support. If you have not yet joined, please stop by the Fan Club table and talk to us. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join the fan club. Every penny we make enhances the player's experience, from sheets, towels, silverware, pots and pans, to transportation to and from the airport, to providing snacks for the bus on road trips and much more. Be on the lookout for important fan club information on the big screen in the arena. See ya'll on October 15. LET's GO RED!!
- The Allen Event Center put out the info below that makes some game day changes that Allen fans need to be aware of:
Allen Event Center is dedicated to providing an exciting and memorable guest experience while ensuring the safety and security of all our guests. Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with the updated guest policies for the 2016-17 Allen Americans season.
Below are some key new policies:
- All guests are subject to a security screening entering the facility.
- All bags are subject to search.
- Bags/purses must be 14" x 14" x 6" or smaller.
- Outside food and beverage may not be brought into the arena.
- Full-size hockey sticks and/or other items that may be considered dangerous or inappropriate by Allen Event Center management are prohibited.
- No posters/signs larger than 2' x 3'.
DID YOU KNOW: Tommy Daniels, the voice of the Allen Americans, was a traffic reporter for radio station KRLD for about a year. Every morning and evening flying around Tarrant county in a helicopter reporting on traffic.