- The other Allen group at the Barracuda camp are those under contract to Allen but are on a try out agreement. This group includes Greger Hanson, Gary Steffes, Justin Baker, David Makowski, and Mike DiPaolo. This group really needs to compete hard during the training camp for two reasons. Most importantly one of them may end up with an AHL contract if they do well. Secondly, if they do well at camp and don't get a contract it will help their chances in getting called up during the season.
- Here is a link to the opening day training camp roster. Additional players will be added as the Sharks make more cuts over the next few days. You will notice Joel Rumpel is the only goalie on the list.
- Here is a picture of Barracuda general manager, Joe Will, addressing the players at an orientation meeting last night.
|Last night at San Jose Barracuda training camp orientation - photo by Eric Lindquist|
- Allen coach Steve Martinson left yesterday and will spend the week at the Barracuda camp. A great opportunity to see how his players perform in camp and also become familiar with players that might be assigned to Allen throughout the season. Coach Martinson will be an active participant both on and off the ice.
- If you are wondering who might be the players assigned to the Americans by San Jose other than those that were in Allen last year here are some possibilities. I have no inside info on these players. This is just a list of the first players released from the Sharks NHL camp and assigned to the Barracuda so it is certainly possible one or more of these players gets assigned to Allen sometime during the season.
Daniel Doremus - F
Petter Emanuelsson - F
Adam Helewka - F
Nikita Jevpalovs - F
Jeremy Langlois - F
Trevor Parkes - F
Julius Bergman - D
Danny Federico - D
Patrick McNally - D
Rick Pinkston - D
Joakim Ryan - D
Former Allen Americans At AHL Training Camps:
- Spencer Asuchak and Konrad Abeltshauser are both in camp with the Chicago Wolves (AHL) after attending the St. Louis Blues main camp.
- Jack Combs is in camp with the the Hartford Wolf Pack having signed a one way deal with the AHL club in the off season. With 23 forwards already in camp and more to be added it will be highly competitive to make the team.
- Kale Kerbashian who is under contract to Rapid City is in camp with the AHL Springfield Falcons on a try out agreement.
- According to Elite Prospects the Missouri Mavericks have eleven players attending AHL camps. Ten of the eleven are in camp with Missouri's AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
- It is an important week for all of the players attending AHL camps as they pursue their dreams and try to take the next step in their careers. Best of luck to everyone and remember, luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
DID YOU KNOW: In 2009-2010, which was Allen's first year, Jordie Benn played for the Allen Americans (CHL) while Trevor Ludwig spent the year with the Texas Stars (AHL). In 2010-2011 they were teammates on the Texas Stars. In 2011-2012 Trevor signed with the Allen Americans and Jordie made his NHL debut with the Dallas Stars. You just never know what the future holds.