Sunday, September 14, 2014

30 Questions With Andrew Hamburg - A Player Profile


Andrew Hamburg

Today the Allen Americans Blog continues the 30 Questions series with recently signed forward Andrew Hamburg. Growing up in Phoenix, Arizona the first question you ask is how and why does a youngster get involved in hockey? Andrew and his brother, Anthony, who is two years younger actually got involved in hockey because of their mother. Here is how Anthony explained it in an interview,  "It's a funny story, actually. Our dad, is not a winter athlete at all. Can't ski, can't skate, nothing. So, my mother went to Denver University as an under graduate, and she hung out with all the hockey guys, because she was in a sorority and, of course, they were in a fraternity. So, she just took us skating one day when I was two and a half and Andrew was about four, and ever since then we've been in love with hockey. So, we skated all the time, moving around to play hockey, but we're having a great time. We are blessed with great parents, a great situation with them. They've helped lead us every day and have instilled a great work ethic and views and morals and all of that. They're great people, and we love them to death, and we will do everything for them, and that's what they've done for us so far. So, we will appreciate that forever."

Andrew has spent time in Dallas in the past as he played midget hockey (2005-2007) for the Dallas Stars Midget AAA team and also played briefly for the NAHL Texas Tornado (2007-2008) before being traded to the St. Louis Bandits where he won back to back championships (Robertson Cups). Andrew had 103 points in 93 games playing for the Bandits. Andrew spent the next four years 2009-2013 playing Division 1 hockey at Colorado College (WCHA). 

In addition to being an outstanding hockey player at Colorado College, Hamburg excelled in the classroom as he was selected to the NCAA (WCHA) all-academic team his sophomore, junior and senior years and graduated with a degree in economics.

Last year (2013-2014) Andrew played professional hockey in Norway and Slovakia.

Hamburg scores a goal for his Norwegian team,  Tonsberg Vikings

Andrew was kind enough to answer some get to know you questions:

Can you tell us a little about your family?
- I have an extremely supportive family here in Phoenix. My mom and dad are both physicians, my mom is a Neonatologist  and my dad is a Cardiologist. I have a younger brother, Anthony, who recently graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), where he played hockey. Anthony plans on playing in Europe this upcoming season.

Did you have a pet growing up?
- I did not have a pet growing up. I used to be petrified of dogs when I was young but my attitude towards them has changed as I have gotten older.

Where are you spending the summer? Are you working?
- I am spending my summer in Phoenix where I grew up. I am helping with skill development with some youth teams in the area.

Describe your training regimen during the summer?
- I train at Exos Athletes Performance, which is known for its NFL combine training, with some professional players that live in the area including some Coyotes players.

What is your favorite number? Do you know what number you will be wearing in Allen?
- My favorite number is #15. It was my number in juniors and college. My brother was #15 when we were growing up and I idolized his play so it became my favorite number. I have not picked my number for the season but am open to any number.

What is your nickname?
- My nickname is a variation of my last name. I have gotten it all from Hammy to Hammer to Cheeseburger. In juniors they used to say I got a hamburger helper when I assisted on a goal.

Who is your hockey hero?
- My hockey hero is Joe Sakic. Fans might not like to hear this but when I was growing up I was a huge  Colorado Avalanche fan and the way Joe played was something I tried to model my game after when I was little.

At what age did you start skating?
- My mom got my brother and I into hockey when I was four or five years old. My mom went to the University of Denver for her undergraduate degree and became a hockey fan while she was there.

Can you describe your style of play?
- I am good with the puck and see the ice well.

Who is your favorite actor and actress?
- My favorite actor is Vince Vaughn as I think he is hilarious. My favorite actress is Alice Eve.

What is your favorite type of music?
- I like all types of music, especially 90's alternative music.

What is a song or artist you hope your teammates don't catch you listening to?
- "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus.

If you could have lunch with anyone living or dead who would you  pick?
- Alexander the Great because he came the closest to conquering the world at the time and never lost a battle.

What chore do you absolutely hate to do?
- I hate folding laundry. I am okay when it comes to putting clothes in the washer and dryer but hate the folding.

What do you have that is of great value to you but little value to anyone else?
- My St. Anthony's pendant. I pray to him before I go on the ice for every game.

Who do you admire as a leader?
- John Wooden as he is one of the most successful coaches of all time. He brought his teams together through teaching fundamentals.

Where is the most interesting place you have ever visited?
- The most interesting place I have ever visited would have to be Athens, Greece. I am a huge history buff and the ancient history in that city is unbelievable.

If you could live in another country for  two years where would you pick?
- I would love to live in Australia. It seems like a beautiful place that would fit my personality very well.

If you could be anything beside a pro hockey player what would it be?
- I have entertained the thought of going to law school and becoming a lawyer which is something I will probably pursue once I have finished playing hockey.

Do you have any pre-game routines, rituals or superstitions?
- I do not have many routines or rituals in the pre-game but I do like to put on my equipment the same way before I go on the ice.

Who is your number one fan?
- That would be my family as they have always supported me no matter what endeavor I have pursued.

What do you like to do to kill time on the bus?
- I like to watch TV shows on the bus and sleeping a lot.

What was your favorite childhood toy?
 - I had a mini basketball hoop that I used to love to shoot on.

Do you have a favorite motto or saying?
- WTD! Win the Day.

What is your favorite TV show?
- Currently. I would have to say Suits.

If you could choose someone as a mentor who would you choose?
- My father, he is extremely dedicated to his profession and his family.

Do you know anyone on the Allen team?
- I went to college and played hockey with Brian McMillin for a year. He was a senior when I was a freshman. I even went to his wedding a couple of years back. I also know the Ludwig brothers a little bit having met them a couple of times while playing with their younger brother CJ, in midgets.

What do you like to do away from the rink?
- I like to be active when away from the rink, whether it is playing golf or tennis (neither of which I am any good at).

What have you been told about the Allen fans?
- I have heard Allen fans are unbelievable and that they are extremely supportive of the team and the players.

How did you get to Allen?
- Coach Martinson reached out to me this summer. After discussing it with him it took very little time to decide to play in Allen. The winning tradition and my love for the Dallas area made it an easy decision for me. I look forward to coming to Allen and competing for the Americans organization and the fans.

Steve Martinson had this to say about Andrew, "Hamburg is a big strong versatile kid with a lot of skill. He comes highly recommended by his college coach."

Here are Andrew's statistics:

Forward -- shoots R
Born Jun 17 1989 -- Phoenix, AZ
[25 yrs. ago]
Height 6.03 -- Weight 203

Season Team League GP G A TP PIM
 2006-2007 Dallas Stars U18Midget- - -- -
 2007-2008 Texas TornadoNAHL2 1 12 2
St. Louis BanditsNAHL43 11 3243 33
 2008-2009 St. Louis BanditsNAHL50 12 4860 51
 2009-2010 Colorado CollegeNCAA26 8 614 8
 2010-2011 Colorado CollegeNCAA35 5 611 12
 2011-2012 Colorado CollegeNCAA29 4 59 6
 2012-2013 Colorado CollegeNCAA41 6 1218 27
San Francisco BullsECHL1 0 00 0
 2013-2014 HC Banska BystricaSlovakia3 0 00 2
Tønsberg VikingsNorway12 1 34 8
Skien IHKNorway21 1 01 4






No comments:

Post a Comment