Friday, August 22, 2014

30 Questions with Allen Forward Travis Ouellette - A Player Introduction


Travis Ouellette 

 The player introduction series continues today with the spotlight on Travis Ouellette who was one of the first players signed by Steve Martinson for the upcoming season. Last year Ouellette spent time with the Arizona Sundogs, St. Charles Chill, and the Greenville Road Warriors (ECHL). He had a combined point total of 27 points (11 goals 16 assists) in 34 games.

Ouellette (Oh-LET), 25, had a four-year career at Division One Ferris State University. In 2012-13 as a senior he finished second on the team in scoring with 26 points (11g-15a) in 35 games. In his junior campaign (2011-2012), the Windsor, Ontario native helped lead Ferris State to the NCAA Frozen Four Championship game where they lost to Boston College 4-1. Travis had an assist on the Bulldog's lone goal in the championship game. For his college career, the 5’9″, 170 pound center played 147 games with 37 goals and 45 assists for 82 points. Last summer Ouellette played for the Adelaide Adrenaline in the Australian Ice Hockey League, scoring 13 goals and assisting on 11 for 24 points in just 12 games.


Each year Steve Martinson finds a couple of young players that have not gotten a real chance to show what they can do who end up thriving in his system. Travis Ouellette could be one of those players this year. He is in the mold of Anthony Maiani and Alex Lavoie in both size and style of play. He should be fun to watch. For those of you on Twitter you can follow Travis at @Ouelly89.

Travis was kind enough to answer some get to know you questions:

Can you tell us a little about your family?
- I come from a hockey playing family. My brothers (Britt & Chad) played college hockey at Davenport University in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Brit and I played together in Australia and also in St. Charles last year. Britt is is playing in Germany (Hanover) this year. Chad now works on the business side for the Toronto Maple Leafs. My girlfriend's name is Avery and she works for Lululemon's sister company, Ivivva, which is for younger girls.

Did you have a pet growing up?
- I never had a pet growing up but Avery and I are in the process of getting a dog this summer.

Where are you spending your summer?
- I am currently living in Windsor, Ontario training and getting as much ice time as possible. I train with a lot of other professionals who live in the area.

What is your favorite number and do you know what number you will be wearing in Allen?
- My favorite number is #9 as I wore that all four years at Ferris State. I do not know what number I will be wearing in Allen.

What is your nickname?
- Ouelly

Who is your hockey hero?
- I would have to say Doug Gilmour. I loved the Maple Leafs growing up and he was such a stud! I wore 93 one year in AAA and it was a good year.

When did you start skating and what is your earliest hockey memory?
- I started skating when I was two. My brothers are both older than me so naturally I followed what they did. My dad would take all of us to the rink for skates. I didn't skate that much at first but observed until I got it.

How would you describe your style of play?
-  I am a play making forward with some touch around the net who doesn't mind getting his nose dirty.

 Who is your favorite Actor?
- Denzel Washington

Who is your favorite Actress?
- Kate Beckinsale

What is your favorite type of music?
- I like everything really, but I might just need to get a little more into country music.

What is your current favorite singer or group?
- Jack Johnson and Needtobreathe

What song or artist do you hope your teammates don't catch listening to?
- Miley Cyrus singing "Party in the USA" always gets the motor running.

If you could have lunch with anyone living other than your  family who would you pick?
- Pavel Datsyuk, the guy is a magician!

What chore do you hate to do?
- The dishes, I'm not one for putting them in or taking them out. God forbid if there is no dishwasher!

What do you have that is great value to you but little value to anyone else?
- I have this glass fish that I take around with me. It is sort of my good luck charm.

Who do you admire as a leader?
- Sidney Crosby, the guy took over at a very young age and presented himself well, however, some  might disagree.

Where is the most interesting place you have ever visited?
- To date I would have to say Costa Rica.

If you could live in another country for two years where would you pick?
- France for sure. The whole Europe trip intrigues me but being able to understand the language puts it ahead.

Is French your first language?
- No, English is my first language but I grew up going to French school so I can speak a little French.

If you could be anything besides a professional hockey player what would it be?
- A pro golfer. I love golf, unfortunately I am just not very good. Happy Gilmour reversed type of thing here.

Do you have any pregame routines, rituals or superstitions?
- I try not to get caught up in rituals and superstitions so I have nothing to blame if something should happen.

Who is your number one fan?
- My family of course.

What do you like to do to kill time on the bus?
- I have been playing a lot of games on my phone lately. I am really into Clash of Clans right now.

What was your favorite childhood toy?
- Wrestlers! Had a whole bunch of guys I used to play with.

Do you have a favorite motto or saying?
- 100% of the shots you do not take will not go in.

What is your favorite TV show?
- Suits is my current favorite, however I love Game of Thrones and Sons of Anarchy.

Do you know anyone on the Allen team?
- I personally don't know anyone on the team but Jamie Schaafsma grew up in a town nearby.

What do you like to do away from the rink?
- Golf and video games. I play a lot of NHL and Call of duty.

What have you been told about the fans in Allen?
- I was told it is a great place to play and the fans are dedicated and rowdy!

How did you get to Allen?
My agent contacted Martinson and here I am.


Here are statistics about Travis courtesy of hockeydb:

Travis Ouellette
Forward -- shoots R
Born Feb 17 1989 -- Windsor, ONT
[25 yrs. ago]
Height 5.09 -- Weight 170
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2008-09 Penticton Vees BCHL 60 25 28 53 47   10 2 3 5 10
2009-10 Ferris State University CCHA 34 7 4 11 52  




2010-11 Ferris State University CCHA 36 10 11 21 43  




2011-12 Ferris State University CCHA 42 9 15 24 47  




2012-13 Ferris State University CCHA 35 11 15 26 34  




2013-14 Arizona Sundogs CHL 10 3 8 11 6 -1 ----------
2013-14 St. Charles Chill CHL 15 6 7 13 8 -2 ----------
2013-14 Greenville Road Warriors ECHL 9 2 1 3 8 -1 ----------










No comments:

Post a Comment