STEVE MARTINSON POST GAME COMMENTS:
- Spencer Asuchak had a great game with five points (3 goals 2 assists) and the kid really worked his butt off and that paid off for him. I am a little surprised Spencer hasn't got a look by an AHL team but you have to remember he is a late bloomer. In junior his best year was 18 goals but when I looked at the 18 goals, it was not a big number but he led his team in goals. I think he has a pretty big future. Next year when he goes to an AHL camp he will open up some eyes. I have talked to Oklahoma City about him but it is kind of late in the season now. I'm sure they will come down and look at Spencer during the playoffs.
- We started out one for two on the power play and then we put some different guys out there on the power play. We were really trying to get Dallas Ehrhardt a goal. We put him on the point and that didn't work and then we put him up front and that didn't work. He came close to getting a piece of the puck on Tyler's goal and he will probably get one in the next few games. We will give him some more time tomorrow night.
- It is nice playing the last place team and having a big lead as you can kind of relax a little as you don't need to be pushing your team all of the time. We talked before the game that this was all business as the last time we played St. Charles we gave up four goals in two periods. I reminded the guys if you don't tie your skates up tight and get ready to play anything can happen.
- It was a good night for us and also for Alex Lavoie who got his first goal playing for the Oklahoma City Barons (AHL) against the Texas Stars down in Austin. It looks like he was playing on their top line and he was a +2 so he is making the most of a good opportunity. (Oklahoma City ended up losing 4-3 in OT). While the plan going into the weekend was for Alex to play two games for the Barons and then join us for the game in Wichita on Sunday you never know what happens when you loan a player. I will touch base with Oklahoma City tomorrow (Saturday) to see if that plan changes but I would expect he will be with us on Sunday. I would not be surprised if Oklahoma City signed Lavoie for next year.
- On the injury front we are hoping Bootland can return on Sunday. Jon Zion will most likely not play until next weekend.
- I have an amateur forward identified and his agent has committed he will come to Allen if his current team gets beat out in the first round of their playoffs which is expected. I still need to identify an amateur defenseman.
- It was pretty much a stress free night so I won't have to look at a lot of video. There were a few things I marked to take a look at but not many. Sometimes when you are winning by so many goals guys try to do a little too much and that is normal. Some guys have a tendency to do this more than others so I will look at a few things tomorrow.
- All and all it was a good night. We were able to get Levine some work and rest Pitton. It was tough giving up that second goal when Levine was in there but it was a tough shot with a deflection. I wanted to get him in the game tonight with a little less pressure and he will start in goal tomorrw night.
- What a great night for Spencer Asuchak who had a hat trick made up of a power play goal, shorthanded goal and an even strength goal. His line score for this game alone, five points (3 goals 2 assists, +4 and eleven shots on goal, would be a good line score for a weeks worth of hockey. His shorthanded goal was his fifth of the season which is two more than anyone else in the league. Asuchak continues to show those around the league why he should have been a finalist for rookie of the year. He has had two five point games in the last week.
- How is this for balanced scoring for the season, Asuchak & Ludwig 50 points, Kerbashian & Schaafsma 49 points, Hanson 48 points and Lessard 47 points. Allen now leads the CHL in goals scored (230 goals) by 15 goals.
- Things went so well for Allen last night that even the two St. Charles goals had an Allen connection. The goals were scored by former Allen players John Snowden and Charles Lachance.
- Congratulations to Jamie Schaafsma who scored his 200th professional goal last night. Jamie continued his scoring streak that now stands at six games. In those six games he has ten points (5 goals 5 assists).
- Bruce Graham's scoring streak now stands at seven games. In those seven games he has fifteen points (5 goals 10 assists).
- Greger Hanson had a goal and an assist last night to continue his scoring streak which is at a team leading nine games. In the last nine games he has eighteen points (7 goals 11 assists).
- The Allen power play scored two goals in nine chances with some different guys getting an opportunity on the power play. The power play is still ranked #3 in the CHL.
- Last night was the fourth time the Americans have scored at least seven goal this season. The most goals they have scored in one game is eight and they lost that game to Tulsa 10-8.
- The top four teams (Missouri, Denver, Rapid City & Allen) all won last night so no changes in the standings. Allen remains one point behind third place Rapid City and six points behind second place Denver.
- If the playoffs started today the match ups would be Missouri vs Tulsa, Denver vs Arizona, Rapid City vs Brampton, and Allen vs Quad City. If Rapid City ends up playing Brampton in the playoffs and the series goes seven games it would mean these two teams will play each other 12 times in a row since their last five regular season games are against each other.
- I was reminded by a reader from Wichita Falls that I was remiss in not acknowledging all of the nineteen winners in the Best of the Best awards. Better late than never. I have had the chance to congratulate most everyone in person but let me say job well done to all those connected to these awards. Here they are with the place they finished in parenthesis:
Hardest Shooter - Tyler Ludwig (2nd)
Best Offensive Defenseman - Tyler Ludwig (1st)
Best Bodycheker - Trevor Hendrikx (3rd)
Best Rookie - Alex Lavoie (1st)
Best Training/Equipment Staff - Osama Kassab & Kacee Coberly (2nd)
Most Annoying Fans - Allen Americans (2nd)
Most Skilled Team - Allen Americans (2nd)
Best Ice Surface - Allen Americans (3rd)
Best Locker Rooms - Allen Event Center (3rd)
Best Team Logo - Allen Americans (2nd)
Best Team Uniforms - Allen Americans (1st)
Best Broadcaster - Tommy Daniels (1st)
Best Press Box - Allen Americans (3rd)
Best On-Ice Promotions - Allen Americans (3rd)
Best Cheerleaders/Dance Team - Allen Ice Angels (1st)
Best Arena Music - Allen Event Center (2nd)
Best Arena Concessions - Allen Event Center (3rd)
Best City - Allen (1st)
Best Host Hotel - Hampton Inn Allen (1st)
Some interesting facts about the Best of the Best awards include:
- The Americans have scored more points in the CHL than any other team over the last five years with two Governor's Cups and a Presidents' Cup but have never had a coach finish in the top three for Best Coach.
- Tommy Daniels has won Best Broadcaster two of the last three years. He finished second last year.
- The Americans have been either first (3 times) or second (2 times) for Best Team Logo ever since they joined the league.
- Allen has been selected the Best City four of the five years the Americans have been in the CHL.
- Allen has won Best Uniforms four out of the five years they have been in the league.
- After finishing second in 2009-2010 the Ice Angels have handily won the Best Cheerleaders/Dance Team the last four years.
- In 2011-2012 Bruce Graham finished in the top three in five different Best of the Best categories including Best Overall Player, Best Stickhandler, Most Valuable to His Team, Best Player on Faceoffs and Best Power Forward.
|Courtesy CHL Memes|
|Courtesy CHL Memes|
DID YOU KNOW: Greger Hanson won the Best of the Best award for Best Rookie last year when he was playing for the Wichita Thunder.