STEVE MARTINSON POST GAME COMMENTS:
- Just like on Friday night there was a lot to like about the game tonight and the big difference is we got the win. The guys came out ready to play, had a lot of energy, were finishing checks and dominated a good hockey team.
- It was nice to have an entertaining game for the fans for the last game before the playoffs and it was also nice to see a big turnout for the game.
- Now we just have to wait and see who we play in the first round of the playoffs. It will be either Brampton or Tulsa depending on the outcome of their games on Sunday. We have several players with doctor appointments on Monday and the outcome of those visits will determine our approach to the playoff roster. We can't go into the the playoffs with three or four injured guys on the roster.
- The three stars of the game were #1 Brian McMillin (2 goals 2 assists), #2 Jonathan Lessard (2 goals 1 assist) and #3 Jamie Schaafsma (1 goal 1 assist).
- Garrett Klotz had 17 minutes in penalties and ended the season with 257 minutes, breaking the single season record set just last year by Garrett Clarke of 223 minutes. And if you weren't at the game, you have to see his video to the tune of "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus.
- Allen got the best of the special teams match up as they had two power play goals and had a third goal just as the player stepped out of the penalty box which shows as an even strength goal in the box score. Denver had one power play goal in four opportunities.
- Allen's third place finish means they will take on the team that finishes sixth in the standings. The first round playoff opponent for Allen will be either Tulsa or Brampton depending on the outcome of their games today. They are currently tied for sixth & seventh place in the standings with 71 points. Brampton plays Rapid City (in Brampton) in a game that starts at 1:00 pm Central time. Tulsa plays Denver in Tulsa and that game starts at 4:05 pm Central time. Because Tulsa owns the tiebreaker against Brampton the only way Brampton can finish in sixth place is with a Brampton win and a Tulsa loss or a Tulsa loss in regulation and a Brampton loss in overtime.
- The playoff match ups that are already determined are Missouri (1) versus Arizona (8) and Rapid City (4) versus Quad City (5).
- Alex Lavoie played again for the Oklahoma City Barons (AHL) last night as they lost to the Charlotte Checkers 3-2 in a shootout. Oklahoma City tied the score with six seconds remaining in the game with an extra attacker goal. Alex was on the ice when Oklahoma City tied the score. In the shootout Lavoie scored the only goal for Oklahoma City in a losing cause. The expectation is Lavoie will return to Allen for the playoffs but he is obviously impressing the coaching staff as they had him on the ice at the critical point in the game and he was selected for a shootout and was successful. The Barons play the Checkers again today (Sunday) and after that game a conversation will surely take place as to when Alex returns to Allen.
- With some great crowds last night around the league including 6542 in St. Charles the average attendance for the CHL has finally exceeded last year's average. With three games remaining in the 2013-2014 regular season the CHL attendance is averaging 3721 compared to 2012-2013 when the average attendance was 3706.
- The Allen American's red jerseys were auctioned off after the game last night. Winning bidders will receive their jerseys after the end of the playoffs. Captain Mike Berube's jersey went for whopping $2000. Here are the other results:
Yanakeff - $500
Klotz - $800
Pitton - $500
Bootland - $900
Tarasuk - $500
Graham - $500
Fox - $600
Tyler Ludwig - $600
Asuchak - $800
Ehrhardt - $500
Schaafsma - $700
Lukin - $700
McMillin - $700
Hendrikx - $500
Zion - $600
Lavoie - $1000
Rouleau - $500
Trevor Ludwig - $600
Kerbashian - $700
Tetrault - $900
Maiani - $600
Lessard - $700
Hanson - $500
- Congratulations to Mark and Mary Costello on their on ice wedding during the first intermission last night. It was hockey themed from beginning to end. I even saw the drink tickets for the reception at Kelly's after the game were in the form of the ticket vouchers the Americans use. Job well done by all!
|Courtesy CHL Memes|
|Courtesy CHL Memes|
DID YOU KNOW: The last five Presidents' Cup champions and playoff MVP's:
2013 - Allen Americans MVP: Brian McMillin
2012 - Fort Wayne Komets MVP: Mike Vaskivuo
2011 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs MVP: Jeff Kyrzakos
2010 - Rapid City Rush MVP: Les Reaney
2009 - Texas Brahmas MVP: Jason Deitsch