|Allen Americans Win Bud Poile Governors' Cup - photo by SceneByKimberly.com|
Congrats are in order for the all the players and staff for winning the regular season championship with a tough 3-2 victory over the Tulsa Oilers this afternoon. It came down to the final period of the final game which I think is fitting for this team. I describe them as a team that will bend but not break. So many times this season the team would be questioned about how they were playing even though they were in first place. Every time there was a game that if they lost they would relinquish first place they won the game. I know it is the Presidents' Cup that we are after but we should all take a little time to enjoy this great achievement which the Americans have accomplished twice in four years.
- Brian McMillin had the game winning goal on a deflection of a Trevor Hendrikx shot on a third period power play. Brian was named the #1 star of the game for the second time this weekend as he was also the #1 star in the victory over Wichita on Friday.
- There were only two power plays in the game but they were both key. Allen scored the game winning goal on their only power play early in the third period and the Americans were able to stop Tulsa on their only power play with less than four minutes remaining in the game.
- Four years in existence and the team has never finished lower than second in the regular season. I think we are a little spoiled. Here are the regular season results:
2009-2010 - 87 points - 2nd place
2010-2011 - 97 points - 1st place
2011-2012 - 87 points - 2nd place
2012-2013 - 87 points - 1st place
- Congrats to all of our category leaders: Anthony Maiani with 55 points, Tyler Ludwig 40 assists, Jamie Schaafsma 24 goals & +15.
- A special tip of the hat to Jamie Schaafsma and Jason Deitsch who are the only players to play in all 66 games.
- Congrats to Aaron Dell & Steve Silverthorn who allowed the fewest goals in the league (176)
- The Americans were the only team in the league with a better road record (20-8-5) than home record (19-10-4). Their 20 road wins were four more than any other team.
- The 1571 penalty minutes this year not only led the league by over 440 minutes, it is an all time record for the Americans.
2009-2010 - 1229
2110-2011 - 1184
2011-2012 - 1336
2012-2013 - 1571
- Here are the match ups for the first round of playoffs. Don't pay any attention to the seedings as anything can happen in these series. Some of the lower seeds (Arizona & Quad City) are playing the best hockey right now.
Allen (1) hosts Denver (8)
Wichita (2) hosts Arizona (7)
Fort Worth (3) hosts Quad City (6)
Rapid City (4) hosts Missouri (5)
- I tried to find out the dates for our home games against Denver. I was unable to getting anything official so we won't get that answer until Monday morning. I did hear a rumor that if we played Denver there are some issues that have to be dealt with that might not allow us to have Friday & Saturday as the first two home dates. Not sure if it is travel related or arena scheduling issues but all should be resolved tomorrow. Heard from someone at the game that Coach Martinson said the first home game will be Thursday. Thanks @KnockoutGoon for sharing that info.
- Hard to believe the Stars have acquired prospect Joe Morrow and a 5th round pick from Pittsburgh for Brenden Morrow and a 3rd round pick. Not a big surprise but it is hard to see him go. Joe Morrow was the 23rd player taken in the 2011 NHL draft. Who will ever forget Brenden and some of his teammates practicing with the Americans during the NHL lockout. Here is a picture of Brenden that Richard Henry posted on Facebook.
|Brenden Morrow practicing with the Americans, Stars goalie Richard Bachman in the background|