- Utah out worked and out played Allen for two periods and took a 4-0 lead into the second intermission. If there is any consolation for the Americans they came to life in the third period and showed what they are capable of. Allen won the third period 1-0 and had many quality scoring opportunities while out shooting the Grizzlies 17-5. It was much too little and much too late. Allen's lone goal was scored by Josh Brittain on a great play and pass from Eric Roy.
- If you want to relive one of the worst games Allen has played in a while here is an almost 10 minute highlight or if you are an Allen fan lowlight video:
- Here is the game recap from the Allen Americans: https://allenamericans.com/americans-fall-to-grizzlies-in-game-2/
- Here is the Utah Grizzlies recap of the game: http://www.utahgrizzlies.com/team-news/headline-news/?article_id=3304
- Coach Martinson talks about what the team needed to do to win in his pregame interview with Tom Manning:
Here are Steve Martinson's post game comments;
- That wasn't the start we wanted and I didn't like the first two periods. We didn't win any battles for pucks, we didn't get to many pucks first and we handed them a couple of scoring chances and they buried them.
- The positive is if we play they way we played in the third period the rest of the series we will be okay. It has been a few games since we have had to play that hard to win. We will have to use the third period as an example. I am going to take the positive from the game that we competed much harder in the third period.
- I couldn't tell from watching on my laptop whether that one goal was in but the goal judge said it was in and the players on the ice said it was in. After talking to the goal judge the referees overruled him and made the call it was no goal.
- The way they were trapping we needed to get the puck to the outside and enter the zone with momentum. We weren't skating until the third period and that was the difference.
- Their goalie played good tonight. We had some chances in tight, we were hammering pucks in the end and it seemed like we had some open net to shoot at but we just didn't get the puck in the net.
- You have to keep in mind this is only one game. I am sure you have all seen things in life where you can tell someone something but they don't change until they experience it. Tonight we experienced getting outplayed the first two periods. We have to be ready to go on Wednesday and play the way we did in the third period.
- I played our bigger defensive defensemen tonight because I thought we would have plenty of offense but we didn't have much offense tonight.
- We will be flying to Utah rather than taking the bus which will be nice for a change. We will leave on Tuesday.
- Zach Hall was on the ice for the first time today. He thinks he will be ready to play on Wednesday but we will have to wait and see.
- We need to do better on faceoffs. We will get another pure center when Hall returns. The goal Utah got off the faceoff looked like a set play and our defenseman didn't pick up the guy who got the rebound.
- To the surprise of no one Chad Costello won the ECHL MVP award yesterday as his contributions to his team are unparalleled. Here is the ECHL press release announcing Chad's selection. One thing this release doesn't mention is being an MVP includes being their for your teammates consistently. Chad played in all 72 games for Allen this season and even more remarkable is he has played in every regular season and playoff games since signing with the Americans in 2014. That is a total of 267 straight games. http://www.echl.com/allens-costello-named-2016-17-ccm-echl-valuable-player
- There have been more than few upsets thus far in the ECHL playoffs. The top seed in the South Division (Florida) trails #4 seed Orlando 2-0 having lost two games at home. Mountain Division #2 seed Colorado lost at home to Idaho 4-1 last night in their opening game. The top seed in the North Division (Adirondack) lost 3-1 to Manchester in the first game of their series. Throw in the Utah win over #1 seed Allen and the underdogs have acquitted themselves very well thus far. There are five games on tap tonight including game two of the Colorado vs Idaho series.
DID YOU KNOW: With his start last night Riley Gill is now the ECHL's all time leader in most playoff games appeared in by a goaltender. Last night was Riley's 81st game. Gill also owns the most career playoff wins with 48. Next up in the record book is career minutes played. Riley has 4560 and is 281 minutes shy of the all time record.