- As bad as the first period was the rest of the game wasn't much better. Allen was outshot 42-18 for the game. That is the lowest shot total of the season as 20 was the lowest prior to last night and that was back in November when the team wasn't playing well. Too many turnovers, trying to make plays that weren't there, not enough net front presence, not finishing checks, not moving but standing still were all issues mentioned by coach Martinson as contributing to the poor play.
- How did Allen win despite the poor play. They won the special teams battle holding Tulsa scoreless on their two power play opportunities including a five minute major. The Americans got a power play goal of their own and were 1-3 on the night. Special teams were a plus but Allen can attribute this victory to the play of goalie Jamie Murray who stopped 40 of 42 shots and many were highlight reel worthy. Jamie has been outstanding in his last three starts with a save percentage of .939, .939 and .952.
- Goal scorers for Allen were Bryan Moore (26 & 27) and Tyler Barnes (9). Moore has scored six goals in the last three games.
- Here is the game recap courtesy of the Allen Americans: https://allenamericans.com/americans-hold-on-for-3-2-win-over-tulsa/
- Here is the Tulsa Oilers game recap: https://tulsaoilers.com/6296-2/
- Here is Tom Manning's pregame interview with coach Martinson:
- It may have been an ugly win for Allen but that doesn't take away from its importance. Winning games when you don't play your best is a sign of a good team. Allen's win combined with a Colorado 3-0 loss in Idaho has the Americans back on top in the Mountain Division by one point. Allen needs four points in their last three games to clinch the division.
- The battle for the fourth and final playoff spot (and possibly Allen's first round opponent) continues to seesaw back and forth. Missouri and Utah won last night while Alaska lost. Here are the Mountain Division standings with games remaining, the remaining opponents and whether the games are home (H) or away (A). Of all of the remaining matchups the three games Missouri plays in Utah to finish the season will be the one to keep an eye on.
98 points - Allen (3 games remaining) - Wichita (H), Tulsa (A), Wichita (A)
97 points - Colorado (2 games) - Rapid City (A), Rapid City (A)
87 points - Idaho (3 games) - Alaska (A), Alaska (A), Alaska (A)
75 points - Utah (3 games) - Missouri (H), Missouri (H), Missouri (H)
74 points - Alaska (3 games) - Idaho (H), Idaho (H), Idaho (H)
72 points - Missouri (4 games) - Wichita (H), Utah (A), Utah (A), Utah (A)
58 points - Rapid City (2 games) - Colorado (H), Colorado (H)
- Allen has scored points in 13 straight games winning 12 and losing to Missouri in overtime in the other. The Americans streak has them in second place in the entire ECHL with 98 points. They now trail Toledo by just two points for the best record in the league. I have eaten enough crow lately so I am not going to say it is impossible to catch Toledo but it would be a tall task. If Allen goes 3-0 in their last three games and Toledo goes 2-2 there would be a tie at 104 points. The teams would be tied for the first tiebreaker (wins minus shootout wins) but Toledo would win the Brabham Cup on the second tie breaker (goal differential). If Toledo would go 2-2 and one of the wins is a shootout win the Brabham Cup would go to Allen as long as their 3-0 record had no shootout wins. I know the book answer is take one game at a time, don't worry about what the other team is doing and see where the chips fall at the end.
- As I walked around the concourse before the game and between periods last night talking to fans, all of the talk was about "Keep the Coach, Keep the Name" and that is understandable. I know that is not what the coach and team are focusing on right now. They are focusing on doing something that is unprecedented in minor league hockey and has been accomplished only once in the NHL (Montreal 1956-60). Focusing positive energy on the playoffs is what the team needs now.
- In honor of McDonald's Night, here is Ronald McDonald delivering the "Miracle Speech" to the 2013 Allen team. It must have been quite inspiring as the team went on to win their first championship. Always fun to see video of the players from the past.
- Here are the results of the McDonald's specialty jersey auction from last night.
$700 - Chad Costello
$500 - Jamie Murray
$450 - Greger Hanson
$450 - Bryan Moore
$450 - Derek Mathers
$400 - Spencer Asuchak
$400 - Alex Krushelnyski
$400 - Tanner Eberle
$350 - Travis Brown
$350 - Eric Roy
$350 - Josh Brittain
$350 - Harrison Ruopp
$350 - Gary Steffes
$300 - Joel Chouinard
$300 - Mike Gunn
$300 - Riley Gill
$300 - Wade MacLeod
$300 - Miles Liberati
$300 - Zach Hall
$250 - Tyler Barnes
$250 - Dyson Stevenson
$250 - Mike Brodzinski
- Here is a story about playing minor league hockey that talks about playing with an uncertain future, the importance of support from wives and girlfriends and the sacrifices they make for players to chase their dream of playing professional hockey. It is a story about the players in Rapid City but applies everywhere. http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/for-rush-players-life-in-the-minors-no-easy-thing/article_c73629f5-395c-5d65-9cf6-b8b64a524548.html
- Two all-time single season records for the Allen Americans were set last night. Chad Costello got his 85th assist which broke his record of 84 set in 2014-15. Derek Mathers had 22 penalty minutes last night and now has the record for most penalty minutes in a season with 274, breaking the previous record of 257 minutes set by Garrett Klotz in 2013-14.
DID YOU KNOW: How did Allen make it to the top of the Mountain Division? They did their part by winning 12 of the last 13 games. But they needed help from Colorado who have lost four of their last five games. This after the Eagles had a streak of 17 straight wins and a two month record of 22-1-1-0.