The Allen Americans made a great comeback last night late in the third period after being down 2-0 to the Tulsa Oilers to tie the score with just over two minutes left in the game only to allow a four on two odd man rush that led to the game winning goal with just over a minute left in regulation time. The final score was a 3-2 victory for the Tulsa Oilers before a disappointed crowd of 3679 at the Allen Event Center. A great opportunity lost for Allen to move up in the standings. With the win Tulsa is now tied for first place in the Central Division while the Americans are tied for fifth place.
STEVE MARTINSON'S POST GAME COMMENTS:
- It is disappointing to lose the game after coming back from being down 2-0 late in the third period only to allow an odd man rush for the winning goal a minute later. We have to be as dedicated and passionate about defense as we are about offense.
- I am not happy the way the team is playing right now. We need to get the puck on net and have guys willing to go to and stay in the tough area in front of the net. We are lacking some of that toughness and with Schultz out of the lineup it makes it even more difficult as he is a big guy that will go to the net.
- If you were at the game Saturday night you saw Schultz took a hard hit to the head on what was an interference penalty that was not called. Schultz will be out for all three games next weekend.
- If the power play isn't working like was the case tonight you need to get the puck to the point and get shots on net with players screening the goalie. Because we did not have guys consistently in front of the net on the power play the Tulsa goalie had a good look at all of the shots.
- Devin Di Diomete was suspended because I was trying to trade him and he refused to practice. You try to do what is best for the team and the player but if a player won't practice you have no choice but to suspend him.
- Justin Baker has been playing great and working hard and we might need to find more younger players like him. There will be some additional roster moves for sure.
- Allen has a record of 3-3 and is in fifth place in the division which is not where anyone expected them to be given the roster that has been put together. With six points the Americans are only three points out of first place and they have games in hand (as many as three) over all of the teams ahead of them in the standings. With only six games played, Allen has the fewest games played of any team in the ECHL. With away games on Friday (Missouri) and Saturday (Wichita) and a home game on Sunday against Rapid City the Americans will have plenty of opportunity to move up in the standings.
- Special teams usually tell the tale in most hockey games and the 3-2 loss to Tulsa was no exception. The Oilers were 1-3 on their power plays while Allen was 0-7. The Americans had the top power play unit in the ECHL from opening night until last night. In their last four games Allen has only scored one power play goal in twenty power play opportunities and have fallen to #11 in the league.
- Jack Combs had a goal and assist last night and has scored in all six games thus far. He leads the team in scoring with nine points (5 goals, 4 assists).
- In other ECHL action last night the Gwinnett Gladiators beat the South Carolina Sting Rays by a score of 4-2. All four Gwinnett goals were scored by Greg Carey and the winning goalie was a former Allen player, Mark Guggenberger. Carey and Allen defensman, Justin Baker were college teammates at St. Lawrence University.
- Allen signed defenseman Nolan Descoteaux yesterday and he played in his first game last night. Nolan is from the Dallas area and played his college hockey at R.I.T (Rochester Institue of Technology). Allen now has two Dallas products (Austin Smith the other) on the roster.
DID YOU KNOW: Allen captain Jamie Schaafsma is a big fan of heavy metal music which he says he got from his older brothers. When interviewing him a couple of years ago his favorite band was Guns & Roses. Another of his favorite bands is Steel Panther who had a concert last week at the Allen Event Center along with Judas Priest. Jamie got to meet the Steel Panther band members backstage and also present them with an Allen Americans jersey. SWEET!