|Gary Steffes, who played for Tulsa from 2010-2013, was the #1 Star last night with a goal and an assist - photo by scenebykimberly.com|
The winning formula continued last night for the Allen Americans as they defeated the Tulsa Oilers 3-1 before a crowd of 3571 at the BOK Center to extend their winning streak to six games. That winning formula is to score early (Allen is 7-0 when scoring the first goal), play good defensive hockey (Allen allowed Tulsa only one goal on 21 shots) and get great goaltending (Riley Gill with one goal allowed lowered his GAA to 1.84).
- Had the chance to talk briefly to Steve Martinson after the game and he was pleased with the victory and another solid defensive effort by the team. Always looking for more from his team Martinson described the game like this, "We played okay and didn't hurt ourselves. We are still a little too cute at times on offense as we passed up good shots looking for a better play. The team is playing very solid defensive hockey and we are getting great goaltending from Gill."
- Talking about good defensive hockey, the Americans allowed Tulsa just 21 shots on goal which is the second fewest shots Tulsa has had in a game all year. During this six game winning streak Allen has allowed only one goal in four of the games and two goals in the other two games for a total of eight goals allowed in six games.
- It was quite the game for Jack Combs, Chad Costello, and Gary Steffes who were teammates in Tulsa in 2010-2011. The trio combined for over 200 points that year. Last night Steffes was named the games #1 star with a goal and an assist, Combs had the first goal of the game and Costello chipped in with an assist on the Comb's goal.
- Allen's six game win streak is the current longest win streak in the ECHL and is tied for the longest win streak all season.
- With his goal last night Jack Combs continues his streak of scoring in every game this year (12) and is now tied for the ECHL scoring lead with twenty points (10 goals, 10 assists).
- Riley Gill is the second ranked goalie in the ECHL with his 1.84 GAA to go along with the best save percentage (.938) in the league.
- With the win over Tulsa last night Allen has moved into a tie for first place (with Tulsa & Quad City) in the Central Division standings with eighteen points. Allen has played 12 games, Quad City 14 games and Tulsa 15 games.
- Allen has raised their winning percentage to .750. The only team in the entire league with a higher winning percentage is the Florida Everblades who are at .821.
- It was great to see Spencer Asuchak back in the lineup for the first time since November 9th. He got an assist on the second goal which was scored by Greger Hanson and was a +2 for the game.
- While Tulsa gets today to rest waiting for the Thanksgiving night rematch with Allen, the Americans got on the bus immediately after the game for the 264 mile trip to Missouri where they will take on the Mavericks tonight at 7:05 pm. After the game tonight it is on the bus for the trip back to Tulsa for the game tomorrow night.
- Jessey Astles who is returning from injury and Austin Smith, who is returning from loan to Norfolk and will meet the team in Missouri, will both be in the lineup tonight.
- Allen vs Missouri Comparison:
Record: Allen 9-3, Missouri 6-7
Winning Percentage: Allen .750, Missouri .462
Goals for per Game: Allen 4.17, Missouri 2.77
Goals Allowed per Game: Allen 2.67, Missouri 3.77
Power Play: Allen 17.9%, Missouri 9.8%
Penalty Kill: Allen 85%, Missouri 78.9%
Penalty Minutes per Game: Allen 19.25, Missouri 21.15
Shots Taken per Game: Allen 31.92, Missouri 26.54
Shots Allowed per Game: Allen 28.92, Missouri 30.69
Record When Scoring First: Allen 7-0, Missouri 3-2
DID YOU KNOW: Assistant coach Erik Adams accompanied the team on this road trip. It is his first bus trip since he quit playing back in March of 2012. Can't wait to hear his account of being in the back of the bus where the coaches and staff bunk. Rumor has it his roommate for the trip is Tommy Daniels which will make for more good stories.