- Missouri vs Arizona: The Governor's Cup curse strikes again as the #1 seeded Mavericks lost in 2 overtimes for the second straight game and were eliminated from the playoffs four games to two by the #8 seeded Sundogs. This is the first time an eighth seeded team has knocked out a number one seed in the Central Hockey League Playoffs. Kevin Baker scored with 52 seconds remaining in the second overtime for the 4-3 Sundog win. To make matters worse the Mavericks had a 3-1 lead going into the third period.
Here are some of the headlines about the game and the season:
"The Missouri Mavericks historic season came to a close on Tuesday after 99 grueling minutes of playoff hockey ending in a 4-3 second overtime loss to the Arizona Sundogs."
"This is no ordinary loss," said Maverick's coach Scott Hillman after the game, "this is devastating."
"The underdog Arizona Sundogs are moving into the semifinals of the CHL Playoffs and the eighth seeded Sundogs could not have done it in more dramatic or historic fashion, as they eliminated the top seeded Missouri Mavericks from the post season with a 4-3 victory in double overtime.
I watched the two overtimes in this game and have to mention the goalie play at both ends of the ice. Missouri goalie Shane Owen and Arizona's Andrew Engelage put on quite a show. Both of the them made numerous spectacular game saving stops to keep their teams in the game. One of those games where it was too bad either goalie had to lose.
- Denver vs Tulsa: Not to be outdone by the Missouri vs Arizona game, the Tulsa Oilers hosted the Denver Cutthroats in Tulsa for game six. In what proved to be a true playoff game, the Cutthroats scored 14 minutes into the sudden death overtime period to seal a 5-4 victory over the Oilers and a 4-2 series win. With the win Denver advances to the semifinal and will play Arizona.
- Quad City vs Rapid City: Rapid City forced a Game 7 in their series against Quad City thanks to a hard-fought 2-1 victory last night. The two teams will see who earns the right to advance to the semifinals as they will play game seven tonight (Wednesday) in Rapid City.
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN:
- Denver is now the #1 seed and will host the #4 seed Arizona this weekend in Denver. Exact dates still have to be announced. According to the Prescott Daily Courier games 3 and 4 will be held back in Arizona next Tuesday and Wednesday (April 22 & 23).
- Allen is now the #2 seed and has home ice advantage and will play the #3 seed which will be the winner of Rapid City vs Quad City who play their game seven tonight. There has been no official announcement by the league but I was told yesterday and the Americans published after the game that the first two home games of this series would be Friday (7:05 pm) and Easter Sunday at 5:05 pm. Seems like a quick turn around for whoever wins the Quad City vs Rapid City series tonight. The Texas Revolution indoor football team plays a game Saturday at the Allen Event Center so Saturday is not an option for a hockey game.
- Everything is subject to change until the official second round schedule is released by the CHL. One thing is clear and that is the CHL is moving these playoffs along at a quick pace.
ALLEN PRACTICE REPORT:
- The Americans had a light practice yesterday just to get their legs back under them after the long bus ride from Brampton. Alex Lavoie, Spencer Asuchak, and Ross Rouleau did not practice.
- The coaches will conduct practice the rest of the week to work on all of the areas they typically work on. Nothing different or special because of the playoffs.
- One decision that has to be made this week is who will be the player on injured reserve for the second round. Remember, whoever occupies the IR slot cannot play in the second round. If Kale Kerbashian is cleared to play in the second round, which won't be determined until the coaches talk to the doctor to later in the week, someone else will be placed on IR. I had a question from a reader asking if an amateur player could be put in the IR slot and the answer to that question is no.
- The Americans are heading into round two of the playoffs as healthy as they have been in a long time. Because of this coach Martinson has decided not to sign either a back up emergency goalie or a second amateur player at this time. He will go with the players currently on the roster.
|Courtesy CHL Memes|
DID YOU KNOW: The multi talented Ice Angel, dancer, singer, mom, and front office employee Brooklyn Carr has added wife to her many titles as she married her long time companion and the father of her beautiful daughter Rhema, Eddie Rivera on Monday. Make sure to congratulate Brooklyn Rivera in person when you see her at the game on Friday. And did you know before moving to Dallas, Brooklyn was a dancer for the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning. Her mom & dad live in Rapid City and are big Rush fans so Brooklyn is hoping for an Allen vs Rapid City second round match up.
|The Rivera Family|