Monday, May 8, 2023

Tragedy Strikes Allen and Hockey Going Forward

 

 

Before I talk about hockey, I wanted to share my thoughts about what transpired with the mass shooting at the Allen Premium Outlets Saturday afternoon. I happened to be at the Trek Bike Shop (by the rink) when the shooting took place but was oblivious to the happenings until I got home. 

 

Somehow as we go about our lives these mass shootings have become normalized in our society. However, when it happens in your own backyard, the feelings are different. At least that was my experience. I got up Sunday morning at the usual 4:00 am to write the blog, but as I sat at the keyboard, hockey seemed so trivial, and nothing seemed appropriate. I spent yesterday by myself (Nancy is visiting friends and family in Minnesota) so there was a lot of time to reflect and watch the coverage on TV and social media.

 

- I don't normally use the blog for non-hockey issues as I know that is not why you visit, but today is different. Here are just a few of my thoughts that I wrote down during the day yesterday and some I read about and hit home to me. 

  • I am one of the oldest baby boomers (born 1947), born to parents of the greatest generation who met in England during WW II.
  • I am a Vietnam veteran who finished my college degree at the University of Minnesota after returning from the war to protests about the war.
  • As a soon to be 76-year-old I feel my generation has failed to do enough as we watch babies and grandmothers and everyone in between be gunned down by the very weapon I used in war.
  • I keep asking myself what will it take for America's leaders to act? Will it take until our younger generations control the political power? How sad!
  • Why aren't changes made that the vast majority of the citizenry agree should be changed?
  • Why do our leaders always go to their respective corners and do nothing to solve the problem?
  • When you as a politician do nothing to fix a problem which keeps occurring over and over you are not a leader. 
  • Our country is too great to not do something about this right now.
  • Other countries have mental health issues and don't have gun violence issues like America.
  • Why is funding for mental health inadequate in America compared to other developed countries. 
  • Let me close with this quote about gun violence in America which includes mass shootings, other murders, suicides and accidental shootings. "Change can only come with protests, phone calls to our elected officials, voting out politicians who won't take action, and a collective culture shift of people ready to get off the sidelines."  

 

-  The cancellation of the Allen vs Idaho game on Saturday had the teams, the league and the facilities working overtime to adjust the schedule. I am told both the league office and Idaho were very helpful/flexible in finding a solution. If you haven't seen it, here is the revised schedule (all times are EDT):

 

 

 

 

- The bottom line is the end result of the schedule change was to squeeze one more game in the same time frame set aside for games three through seven. The original schedule was May 6, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17 with the 6th and 17th in Allen. The new schedule eliminates the 6th and adds that game on the 16th (in Allen). This schedule has a big impact with so many games crammed together. Here are the stats:

  • The teams will now play six games in eight days if the series goes seven games. 
  • The teams will have one day off from the 12th to the 17th playing five games in six days with the day off for travel from Boise to Allen. 
  • Both teams have played just one goalie in the playoffs but that will have to change with the new schedule. Chase Perry was Allen's best goalie down the stretch in the regular season (.923 save percentage) and has looked great in practice.
  • This compressed schedule will be a strain on the Allen roster with so many banged up players and players missing. More on that tomorrow after I get an update at practice today.  

 

- The change of the schedule to make the format a 1-4-2 series is just another of the many obstacles the Allen Americans have had to face this season. You hear coach Costello talk about resilience all of the time as that is the word the team has embraced this season and it is appropriate for sure. The team has shown resilience time and time again and will certainly have that approach going forward.  

 

- Having to play the next four games on the road may be a blessing in disguise for the Americans. Thus far in the second round of the playoffs the road teams have a perfect 7-0 record. The road teams have outscored the home teams 33-17.

 

- The other three division final series may end quickly. All three are 2-0 with the road teams winning. Newfoundland leads Reading, Florida leads Jacksonville and Toledo leads Cincinnati. There are no games on the schedule tonight.   

 

DID YOU KNOW: How much tighter is Kelly Cup playoff hockey? During the regular season the ECHL had one goalie with a save percentage above .925. (Adam Scheel, Idaho, .932). Thus far in the playoffs 10 goalies are above .925. Here are the top five:
 
.959 Ryan Fanti, Fort Wayne
.940 Cam Johnson, Florida
.938 Sebastian Cossa, Toledo
.936 Dryden McKay, Newfoundland
.934 Kevin Mandolese, Allen

7 comments:

  1. Barry, your hockey blog is great. I read it often. Please keep the blog about hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your response to a mass shooting in your city is to bury your head in the sand, you're part of the problem.

      Delete
  2. In this instance, not sure how Barry cannot talk about the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry, thank you for what you do for the Allen Americans. Thank you for your service to this great nation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we also need to destigmatize the need for good mental health resources. Seeking out mental health help should be like going to the doctor if you have the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written Barry. Very sad times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barry I enjoyed your commentary. I agree wholeheartedly with you. Currently our leadership creates division and stands by on the sideline. I do miss the days when we had more leaders that would speak their mind. I also miss when more moderate candidates ran for office.

    ReplyDelete