- The balanced scoring for Allen continued with five different players scoring goals. The goal scorers were Eric Roy (5), Daniel Leavens (3), Casey Pierro-Zabotel (5), Colby McAuley (2), and Bryan Moore (5). McAuley also had an assist and two fights for his first professional Gordie Howe hat trick. Daniel Leavens didn't have a goal in his first nine starts with Allen after being acquired in a trade with Wheeling but now has three goals in the last four games.
- You can check out all of the goals and one of McAuley's fights on the video highlights posted at ECHL Rewind. Here is the link: https://www.echl.com/
- Here is the game recap from the Allen Americans with a quote from the #1 star if the game, Colby McAuley.
- Here is the game recap from the Rapid City Rush which describes in detail all of the goals: http://www.rapidcityrush.com/news/?article_id=943
COACH'S CORNER WITH STEVE MARTINSON
- Coach Martinson was prophetic in his pregame interview with game host Kayla McLain. When Kayla asked Martinson who needed to step up with Allen's leading goal scorers (Pochiro & Arseneau) out of the lineup the coach said some of the go to guys like Moore & Pierro Zabotel needed to be on their top game. BINGO! They both had a goal. Here is the complete interview:
- Here are coach Martinson's post game comments:
- It was good to get the win tonight playing shorthanded with only nine forwards. The ice was a little bit slow because of what the crew had to do to remove the paint after Disney on Ice last week. Normally it is good but the ice slow tonight which was a little frustrating.
- We didn't do a good job tonight on the penalty kill as we were letting them pass the puck back and forth and then we didn't collapse when the puck went to the net. We tried to correct it after the second period but had the same problem on their power play goal in the third period. Bottom line is we did not have a good penalty kill tonight.
- Asuchak always does a good job screening the goalie on the power play and that is what happened on Roy's goal. Sometimes we get too wide at the point when taking shots and the goalie can see the puck.
- Jeremy Brodeur will be in goal tomorrow (Saturday) night.
- I thought we turned the puck over a lot after we had a lead. Sometimes you need to get the puck out rather than trying to make a play.
- We had some good opportunities to score including a 2-on-0 where we shot the puck right into the goalie.
ALLEN VS RAPID CITY REMATCH PREVIEW
- Allen hasn't had any trouble scoring against Rapid City having 18 goals in the three wins against the Rush this season. Despite the three wins Allen has struggled on special teams when playing Rapid City. The power play is 1-12 (8.3%) and the penalty kill has allowed the Rush three power play goals in 14 opportunities for a penalty kill percentage of 78.6%.
- Allen has dominated Rapid City when the teams are at even strength outscoring the Rush 15-6 over the three games they have played this season.
- There are several paths to victory in the game tonight. Allen can win the special teams battle or they can stay out of the penalty box and play even strength hockey which gives them a big advantage or the Americans can use the old standby of scoring the first goal which makes them almost unbeatable.
- Jeremy Brodeur will be in goal for Allen and has played well in his limited opportunities. His record is 3-1-1-1 and he has the best save percentage on the team at .924 which ranks him #8 in the league in save percentage.
- Officials scheduled for the game are referee Alex Normandin (#26) and linesmen Brian Bull (#95) and Cameron Dykstra (#0). Normandin was the referee last night.
- All indications are a huge crowd tonight with so many activities it should be quite an event. To start with it is Nickelodeon Night and the SpongeBob specialty jerseys the team will be wearing are a sight to see. From the fans that I have talked to the jerseys are in competition for the worst looking of all time but it will be fun for the children in attendance. SpongeBob will be on the concourse before the game. It is also Teddy Bear Toss Night which is always fun and for a good cause. The first 1500 kids in attendance will get a Biscuit holiday ornament. Talk about a family friendly game, you don't want to miss this one.
- In other Mountain Division action last night Colorado beat Utah 7-3 and Tulsa beat Idaho 4-1. These teams play again tonight. Allen is now in third place in the division (25 points) one point ahead of Idaho and three points behind Colorado.
- The Allen Ice Angels have their calendar kickoff event tonight after the game and that is always something to look forward to. I wonder if SpongeBob will be in attendance?
- Photographer Dianne Webster often shares with me photos that are unique and candid shots. Over the years she has caught many players with the water bottle. I think Dianne could have a photo exhibit exclusively of her various "water shots" which I know the players enjoy. Here are a couple from last night along with an action shot where Dianne caught the puck heading right at the hole in the glass she uses to take the photos.
|It's getting hot in here or aim a little lower Jeremy|
|That little kid in Mike Gunn is saying look what I can do Mom|
|Dianne, I bet you flinched .0001 second after you snapped this shot Dianne|
- Dianne shared with me very early this morning that shortly after taking the photo above she noticed a 24th anniversary present from her husband was missing. It is a pear shaped citrine stone. Dianne is heartbroken so if anyone happened to pick up the stone let me know, I will get you in touch with her.
DID YOU KNOW: Eric Roy's power play goal last night was his second goal in as many games. Eric now has five goals which leads all Allen defensemen. Only Zach Pochiro (7 goals) and Vincent Arseneau (6 goals) have more goals than Eric this season. Eric's five goals ranks him #6 in the ECHL in goals scored by a defenseman just two goals behind the league lead.