Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Player Profile - Casey Pierro-Zabotel

Today I am headed to Lake Texoma on a one day fishing trip for Stripers (Striped Bass) so posting the blog extra early this morning. Incidentally, I spelled "Stripers" wrong in my blog one time and got quite a reaction. You put an extra "p" in that word and it changes the nature of the trip a lot.

Anyway, Ted Hosterman, who along with Mary Betz, has filled in for me in the past when I travel during hockey season has kindly volunteered to do some player profiles this season. This is the first in a series of player profiles written by Ted and his subject today is Casey Pierro-Zabotel. My only contribution to the blog this morning is this introduction and the "Did You Know" section at the end.

Here is wishing me "tight lines" today on Texoma!

Casey Pierro-Zabotel


Casey puts one in the net



Casey Pierro-Zabotel - Player Profile

Casey Pierro-Zabotel is a name well known to most Americans fans.  He helped lead the team to its fourth consecutive championship (second consecutive Kelly Cup) in 2015-16.  After playing in Colorado last year, where he again helped lead the team to the Kelly Cup championship, he rejoins the Americans as a player/assistant coach.

Casey was drafted in the third round (80th overall) by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2007 NHL entry draft after an outstanding junior career in the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) and the Western Hockey League (WHL).  He has played in the AHL, the ECHL and spent time in Germany playing in the DEL2 league.  In 489 ECHL games Casey has 133 goals and 313 assists for an average of .912 points per game.  Steve Martinson has said about Pierro-Zabotel - "He's one of the smartest players I've ever had". 


DID YOU KNOW: 


Tell me a little about your family
I am married with two children, one boy 8 years old and a girl that's 1 year old.  My wife and I are both from the same hometown, we kind of grew up together.  Both parents are still alive living back in my hometown of Kamloops, BC.

Did you have a pet growing up? How about now?
I had a Rottweiler growing up - his name was Handsome.  He was a really cool dog.
My family currently has an English Bulldog named Buzz.  Very easy going - he likes to sleep all day.

Describe your training regimen
No formal regimen - just basic stuff.  I play soccer with the guys for warm ups.

Favorite number, (how did it become your favorite number).

17 - it was my first number in juniors so that is what I try to stick with.  It was the last jersey number available when it was first assigned to me.  Allen is one of the few places where I have actually been able to get 17.

Your nickname

CPZ, Zabbo, Zabby - I prefer Zabby.

Who is/was your hockey hero
Joe Sakic who is from BC, same as me.  More recently Shane Doan - we train together along with Spencer Asuchak and some other Americans players.

Earliest hockey memory
Playing pond hockey with my brothers and cousin.

Age you started skating

3 years old.

Describe your style of play
I am definitely a guy who likes to pass first - I have a passer's mentality.  I enjoy having the puck, protecting it in the corners.  Not afraid to go to the front of the net - that is where I score most of my goals.

Favorite Actor or Actress

Will Farrell and Adam Sandler - they are funny guys; always entertaining.

Favorite type of music
Hip Hop and Counrty

Current Favorite Singer or Group
Tupac was always my favorite when growing up

If you could have lunch with anyone living who would you pick (not family)
Definitely Wayne Gretzky - would love to ask him questions about when he was playing.

What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about you
I love hunting - something I would love to do professionally if I was not a hockey player.  Moose is my favorite prey; I have bagged two so far.

What chore do you hate to do
Sweeping and cleaning in general.

What do you have that is of great value to you but little value to anyone else
Would have to say my kids - I love both of them so much.

 Who do you admire as a leader (can be hockey or non hockey)
Shane Doan, Steve Yzerman - they both are great team leaders.  I try to read as much as I can about both of them.

Where is the most interesting place you have ever visited
The Prague at Christmastime.  It was an unbelievable Christmas experience for both me and my family.

 If you could be anything besides a pro hockey player what would it be
A professional hunter.

Any pre-game routines, rituals or superstitions
I put on my gear left side first.

Who is your number one fan
My mom and wife.  My parents follow me on ECHL TV.  They have never seen me play in Texas.

What do you like to do to kill time on the bus

Watch a lot of movies.
 
Favorite motto or saying

Per Wayne Gretzky - "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

Favorite TV show

The Office

If you could choose someone as a mentor who would you choose
Someone like Mike Babcock who coached the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

What do you like to do away from the rink
Play video games, watch TV , hang out with family and the guys

What is your impression of the Allen fans

Of all the teams I have played for and against they are up there with the best, especially come play-off time when they are at their loudest.

How did you originally get to be an Allen American
When my contract with Florida expired in 2015, I got hooked up with Marty through Spencer Asuchak.


DID YOU KNOW:  Casey Pierro-Zabotel and Wade MacLeod, who played in Allen last season, were teammates in junior hockey and played for the Merritt Centennials in the BCHL. In 2006-07 when Casey was 17 and Wade was 19 they combined for an amazing one two punch for the Centennials. They each had 51 goals with Casey tallying 116 points in 55 games and Wade adding 105 points in 60 games. Their entire team scored 212 goals that season, Wade and Casey had 102 of them. That equates to 48% of the team's goal production from two players. No other teammate had more than 14 goals that season.  



No comments:

Post a Comment