- Allen allowed the first goal of the game, trailed 2-0 after the first period, allowed a power play goal, did not score a power play goal, were out shot 13-4 in the first period and 33-23 for the game. Throw in the fact the team was missing the top ranked goalie in the league (Riley Gill out sick) and two of their top four goal scorers (Greger Hanson 30 goals & Bryan Moore 20 goals) and it sure didn't look like a recipe for a victory. To the Americans credit they just kept digging, some guys stepped up and Jamie Murray played great in goal. The Americans got back in the game by scoring two goals 26 seconds apart early in the second period.
- Goal scorers for Allen were David Makowski (14), Spencer Asuchak (24), Tanner Eberle (10) and Gary Steffes (17). Makowski's goal was setup by Gary Steffes who stole the puck in the neutral zone and passed it to Makowski who went in all alone on the goalie. Asuchak had a great tip in goal with a defenseman all over him off a pass from Kale Kerbashian. Eberle scored on a wrap around and put the puck off the goalie's skate into the net. On the fourth goal, Jake Marchment sent the puck toward the goal from the side boards and Gary Steffes somehow got his stick on the puck. Gary was at the hash marks on the faceoff circle and the puck was waist high. Definitely a goal scorers goal. The referee conferred with the linesmen as to whether it was tipped with a high stick before allowing the goal. You can check out all of the goals and the Mathers vs Doty fight at ECHL Rewind: http://www.echl.com/
- Here is the press release issued by the Missouri Mavericks recapping the game. http://www.missourimavericks.com/news/?article_id=797
- Steve Martinson had this to say after the game, "Some players stepped it up after the first period. Kerbashain and Steffes up front had good games. We started to show more speed which created scoring chances. We certainly missed some quality scoring opportunities but that is easier to take when you win the game."
- Prior to the win last night Allen's record when they didn't score the first goal of the game was 8-15-1-1 and when trailing after the first period their record was 3-15-1-1. They definitely defied the odds.
- Missouri forward Jake Doty did his best to swing momentum to the Mavericks dropping the gloves with Derek Mathers to start the game. According to the website dropyourgloves.com Doty has 10 fights this season with four of them taking place this weekend against Allen. Doty fought Gunn, Brittain, Mathers and Stevenson. Probably not the best tactic as that style plays right into Allen's hands as evidenced by the two wins over the Mavericks. The Americans have nine players with two or more fights led by Derek Mathers with 26. The current Missouri roster combined only has 26 fights. It will take Doty a long time to run out of Allen dance partners and Derek Mathers will be looking for a rematch when the Americans return to Missouri next Friday.
- Colorado had their 17 game win streak snapped last night as South Carolina beat the Eagles 4-1. Allen finally gained a couple of points on Colorado. The Americans now trail the Eagles by five points in the Mountain Division standings with 13 games remaining for both teams.
- Allen has 13 games remaining with still a chance for the #1 overall seed but they will have to have some help. As things currently stand in the ECHL the Americans are #4 in points (79), #5 in win percentage (.669), #4 in wins (37), #2 in road wins (20), #1 in goals scored (235), #5 in goals allowed and #1 in penalty minutes (1196). Allen will have to go on a long winning streak if they want to overtake the teams ahead of them in the ECHL standings (Colorado, Toledo, Florida).
- Allen had 89 points last season and finished #5 in the ECHL on the way to their second Kelly Cup. With 79 points and 13 games remaining along with a favorable schedule the Americans should easily exceed last season's point total.
- A reminder that the Allen pocket schedules and some other places show an away game against Wichita this Wednesday. That game was changed early in the season to allow Wichita to make up two postponed games in Greenville. The Allen game in Wichita originally scheduled for Wednesday (March 8) is scheduled for April 8.
- Bryan Moore was a healthy scratch for Manitoba last night. Greger Hanson played for Binghamton as they lost to Syracuse 4-1. Greger had no points, no shots and was -2. Both teams play today with Manitoba at Chicago and Binghamton at home against Syracuse. Hope Bryan and Greger get a chance to play today.
|Newly signed forward Wade MacLeod|
- Coach Martinson mentioned during his pregame interview with Tommy Daniels last night that he has signed forward Wade MacLeod to a contract. MacLeod is making a comeback after his second brain tumor surgery, the first in 2013 and the second last year. Martinson describes Wade as a talented forward who he sees playing with the Chad Costello. MacLeod is scheduled to arrive in Allen today and practice with the team on Monday. Here is a video from two years ago when Wade was the leading scorer for the Idaho Steelheads with 80 points (38 goals 42 assists). This was after his first brain tumor surgery but before his second. In the video Wade talks about his health issue. Incidentally, Wade and Chad Costello were college teammates in 2007-08 at Northeastern University. https://youtu.be/KYwNheRuo2c
DID YOU KNOW: Wade MacLeod has played in 91 ECHL games and has 95 points (49 goals 45 assists) for a points per game average of 1.04.