- The lone goal of the game was scored by Vincent Arseneau (6) at the 5:40 mark of the second period. Assists went to David Makowski and Chad Costello. Makowski pinched in from the point and made a pass to Costello who found Arseneau in the slot. Arseneau took a shot, got his own rebound and put the puck in the net.
- Joel Rumpel was the obvious #1 star of the game but both goalies played great. Sean Bonar was making his first start for Wichita and stopped 28 of 29 shots. For his effort he was named the games #2 star. Bonar, who started the season in the SPHL, has had brief stints with Brampton and Fort Wayne this season. Wichita had both of their goalies (David Shantz & Grant Rollheiser) injured last weekend so signed Bonar and Adrien Lemay to contracts this week. Lemay played 20 games for Allen back in the 2010-11 season before making the decision to go to college. He just completed his collegiate eligibility at his hometown University of Moncton.
- Both team headed for Allen immediately after the game and if all went well would have arrived around 4:30 am. Game two of the three game series is tonight with a scheduled 7:05 pm puck drop. The game will most likely be delayed as the annual Police vs Fire game takes place at 5:05 pm. Come early and take in the Police vs Fire game as one ticket gets you in for both games.
STEVE MARTINSON'S POST GAME COMMENTS
- Rumpel was the best player on the ice tonight. You don't see many 48 shot shutouts.
- Our forward lines are still not clicking the way they can but with that said they created a lot of quality scoring chances.
- I thought we did a better job of not trying to force plays that were not there. We are getting better but still need to make better decisions.
- Vincent Arseneau has his timing back after missing two months. He not only scored the only goal but was finishing checks all over the ice. He is a difficult player to play against when he plays like he did tonight.
ALLEN VS WICHITA GAME PREVIEW
- Special teams is an area where Allen is much better than Wichita. Allen has the best special teams in the league with a power play ranked #2 at 21.3% and penalty kill ranked #1 at 87.1%. Wichita's power play is ranked #28 at 8.8% and their penalty kill is ranked #10 at 84.9%.
- If you look at the special teams over the nine games Allen has played Wichita this season it is an interesting outcome. In their first five games Allen was 8-27 (29.6%) and Wichita was 0-17 on the power play. However, in the last four games Allen has just one power play goal while the Thunder have two. Look for Allen to break out on the power play tonight.
- Allen is 9-0 against Wichita but has only out shot the Thunder is three of the nine games. The Americans can't be out shot like they were last night and expect to win.
- Officials scheduled for the game are referee Kenny Anderson (#16) and linesmen Alex Black (#63) and Rick Rivera (#59)
- Saw some messages on social media concerning Riley Gill and Dyson Stevenson and why they are not playing. Dyson did accompany the team to Wichita last night and was helping out behind the bench. Dyson has been playing with a nagging injury that would not heal. The decision was made to put him on reserve to give the injury some rest. Dyson will not play at all this weekend. Riley Gill was taken off injured reserve and Peter Di Salvo was traded because Riley was completely healed and ready to play. However, before Riley got in a game he suffered an unrelated injury (different part of his body) that has kept him out of the line up. He also will not play this weekend.
- Failed to mention yesterday that in addition to Spencer Asuchak sporting a new number last night (#62), Danny Federico has switched from #2 to #22. Danny wore #22 all four years in college at Quinnipiac University and was a co-captain of the team as a senior.
|Danny Federico has switched to his Quinnipiac University #22|
- If you have never watched the Police versus Fire Charity Hockey Game it is worth arriving early tonight (5:05 pm) to support this event. It is the seventh annual game and they have proven to be quite entertaining over the years. It has gone from humorous to a grudge match to some pretty good hockey since its inception.
- It is hard to believe the Americans are done playing in Wichita for the season. The final four games between these teams will be in Allen. Wichita will be a totally different team next season including having a new coach.
- With Allen's win last night and losses by division leaders Fort Wayne and Idaho, the Americans are tied for second in the Western Division in points. Missouri is far and away the leader with 90 points with Allen, Idaho and Fort Wayne all tied for second with 65 points.
QUESTION OF THE DAY: Thanks to Nancy for today's question, "We always hear about Steve Martinson's NHL fights but can he tell us about his two NHL goals?"
DID YOU KNOW: Allen has the best record in the ECHL when scoring the first goal of the game. The Americans get 88.9% of the available points when scoring first. In Allen's last 13 games the team that scored first won every game. Unfortunately, the Americans scored first in just six of the last 13 games.