The Americans were out worked, out hustled, out hit, out played and obviously out scored in a game that you would never expect from a three time champion. Losing at home can happen, but to be embarrassed the way Allen was last night and just let it happen is not acceptable.
How bad was the 8-1 loss? It was the worst defeat in Allen Americans history. That is right, WORST DEFEAT EVER, in the seven year history of the team, both home and away. Until last night the Americans had never lost a game either at home or on the road by more than five goals.
No need to go into a statistical analysis with a result like last night but let it suffice that Allen was beaten in every phase of the game. Colorado scored the first goal of the game late in the first period which has been a great predictor of who will win the game. The Eagles proceeded to score the next six goals to take a 7-0 lead on the way to the 8-1 win. Colorado out shot Allen (42-30), were 2-5 on the power play and 0-6 on the penalty kill.
DID YOU KNOW: Decided to put this here rather than the end because the blog is so long today. Here are the worst defeats in Allen Americans history in chronological order:
8-1: Colorado - 11/14/2015 (home)
6-1: Fort Worth - 2/23/2013 (away)
5-0: Laredo - 2/25/2012 (away)
11-6: Colorado - 1/1/2011 (home)
5-0: Tulsa - 12/18/2010 (home)
6-1: Laredo - 3/4/2010 (away)
6-1: Rapid City - 1/15/2010 (home)
STEVE MARTINSON'S POST GAME COMMENTS
- I have said many times, if you are a season ticket holder, attending the post game Q & A with coach Martinson is a must. There is almost always a summary of Martinson's comments in the blog but you miss a lot if you are not in the room to hear his comments first hand. Last night was a perfect example of you really had to be there.
- Driving home after listening to what coach Martinson had to say after the game made me regret not saying out loud what I was thinking while sitting in stunned silence at the Q &A session. Guess I was numb after witnessing the worst Allen Americans game in history. First was the fact coach Martinson was willing to come and talk to the media and season ticket holders, which would not have happened elsewhere. Good or bad, Steve Martinson always shows up. He never blows off the group because it was a bad night and he never sends a surrogate after a bad game. He comes and says what is on his mind and takes questions from the fans.
- My second thought was if everyone connected with the Allen Americans organization from ownership, to the front office staff, to the on ice staff, to the players, were as passionate about doing things right, working hard and hated to lose as much as Martinson this team would never have games like last night.
- In deference to coach Martinson, who was obviously upset and embarrassed about how the team performed, I have decided it is best to not include any specific quotes today. My suggestion is to be sure to attend the post game Q & A after the game today.
- It is always nice when you get beat at home if you don't have to wait long to do something about it. If that is the case, Allen is very lucky in they get a second crack at the Colorado Eagles in less than 19 hours after the end of the 8-1 debacle last night. It is a 4:05 start time this afternoon.
- In the strange stat category and almost hard to believe, defensemen Rick Pinkston was a +1 in the game. If your team loses 8-1 and you end up with a plus that is noteworthy.
- The Allen Ice Angels had their calendar release party after the game which helped brighten the mood for those in attendance. Congrats to everyone involved the in making of the calendar. About all you can say is WOW!
- Wendy Ellis, who is a big Allen Americans fan/supporter and works for the company (MGHerring Group) that manages the The Village at Allen (TVAA) and The Village at Fairview (TVAF), asked me to share with everyone they are having their holiday kickoff event next Saturday, November 21st from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm at the Allen Event Center. The third annual Candy Canes For Kids featuring Josh Wilson, is the official start of the Holiday Season at The Village at Allen & The Village at Fairview! It’s a day full of fun that makes a difference in our community! There will be activities all day that will be fun but also raise money for the Children's Advocacy Center of Collin County (CACCC). The activities include:
Peppermint Stick Tree Build: Purchase peppermint sticks for 2 for $1. Then write your name, the name of a loved one, or your Holiday wish on the sticks and help us use them to build the trees. All proceeds benefit CACCC and the completed trees will remain on display at TVAA & TVAF through the Holiday Season.
Toy Drive: We’ll be collecting toys to benefit children served by CACCC all day at the event and at the Allen Americans Hockey Game. Children 12 and under that bring a toy valued at $10 or more will receive a special thank you gift while supplies last.
KLTY Live Broadcast & Cash Cube: Come meet Heather and Hudson from KLTY as they broadcast LIVE from 10:00 am - 7:00 pm. There will be more than $7,000 in prizes up for grabs in the Cash Cube including Allen Americans tickets, Disney On Ice tickets, Disney Live tickets, gift cards and more! - FREE
Free Entertainment: Enjoy FREE live entertainment all day including a FREE concert by Josh Wilson! For complete details go to http://thevillageshopping.com/events/Candy_Canes_For_Kids
Children’s Activities: Enjoy face painting, balloon artists, bounce houses, a petting zoo from Cathy's Critters, crafts and more. Tickets are just 5 for $5 and all proceeds benefit CACCC.
Special Celebrity Appearances: Meet Carly Patterson, Miss Texas, Allen Americans Players & Ice Angels, and more. The Big Guy will make his first appearance at TVAA & TVAF at the event. - FREE
Allen Americans Hockey: Join us for the Allen Americans game at 7:05pm and enjoy more from Josh Wilson (meet and greet, National Anthem, puck drop and a special intermission performance) as well as The Big Guy, a special red, white and blue Peppermint Stick Tree Build, special in-game surprises and a game-worn jersey auction. All proceeds benefit the Children's Advocacy Center of Collin County. There will be 500 FREE* Allen Americans tickets available beginning at 2:00 pm, so come early for Josh Wilson and stay for the game!
The Josh Wilson concert is FREE*, but we ask everyone to bring a new unwrapped toy or to make a donation to CACCC at the event. There will be 500 FREE Allen Americans tickets available at the event on a first come first served basis.
Wendy tells me they are trying to raise $20,000+ for Children's Advocacy Center of Collin County and the post game jersey auction will be a big part of that effort. One thing that is different about this jersey auction is that The Village At Allen & The Village At Fairview underwrote the cost of the jerseys, so 100% of the proceeds will benefit Children's Advocacy Center of Collin County - in fact folks will pay CACCC directly when they get the winning bid on a jersey.
|Specialty Jersey to be auctioned on Saturday|
- Finally, wanted to let everyone know I am taking my blog proofreader (no, not you John Weithman) on an all expense paid trip to South America, where we will be spending a few days in the cities of Quito, Ecuador and Lima, Peru but the majority of the next month will be spent at remote camps on the Amazon River in Ecuador and aboard a small ship on the Peruvian part of the Amazon. We will also be visiting the Galapagos Islands aboard a small ship (eight cabins) and take in one of natures most unique places. A group of islands that are geographically so remote they have never been connected to the continents. It is where three major ocean currents intersect which makes for nutrient rich (cold) and coral sustaining (warm) water environments where you see plants, marine life and wildlife that exist no where else on earth. By the way that proofreader is my lovely wife, Nancy.
- While we are in South America, Mary Betz and Ted Hosterman have once again graciously agreed to write the blog, so starting tomorrow they will be publishing the latest and greatest about the Allen Americans. Ted & Mary have some great interviews already in the works and they will be doing game previews and post game recaps so the blog won't miss a beat while I am gone. Thanks to Ted and Mary for taking on this task which requires a big time commitment.