*Please note while Barry's name remains at the bottom of this blog, he is on vacation and the information/views posted in his absence do not reflect Barry's views or the views of the Allen Americans organization.
It is game day in Allen - don't allow South Carolina to "Mess with Texas"! Everyone, including the team, knows what has to be done.
We provided game observations yesterday, here is some best-of-seven playoff history:
- Game one winners are 105-45 overall and 18-8 in ECHL finals
- Game two winners' records are equally impressive at 104-46 all time and 19-7 in the finals.
- In the CHL championship series last year, Allen lost two of three game ones but still managed to win the Presidents' Cup.
- For game twos, Steve Martinson's record is 8 and 1; Stingray's head coach Spencer Carbery's record is 2 and 5.
- For this year's Kelly Cup finals, visiting teams will be given home ice advantage rules for games three and six. S. C. will play under home ice rules for game 3 in Allen and Allen will play under these rules in game 6 in S.C.
- Allen is undefeated when leading after the first period, or leading/tied after the second.
Mr. Dave Gens, father of Aaron Gens, was kind enough to share some of his thoughts during his extended stay in Allen.
- We asked about Aaron's brother, Matt, whose career was shortened by an injury resulting from a hip check while playing for Evansville two years ago. While in Evansville, he played 16 games together with Aaron. It was their dream to play together but their age difference prevented it. Dave vividly remembered the time they were in the penalty box together.
- Having been a wrestler, Dave said "My kids will be wrestlers, no hockey"! We all know how that turned out.
- Dave left Minnesota on April 12th and has been here ever since. Dave is an experienced traveler as he saw his daughter play college hockey in Estonia and his son play for the USA under 17 hockey team in Finland.
- Dave likes Allen a lot. Having been in seven different ECHL arenas, Dave prefers the AEC as he finds every seat awesome and has a great hockey atmosphere.
- The Allen fans have been fun and have treated Aaron very well.
- Having been to Minnesota hockey games in temperatures of 35 below, the environment in Allen is much more tolerable. He was surprised when Aaron told him he was living in a nice apartment on a golf course.
- Coach Martinson is not a stranger to Dave. Marty was Matt's coach in the 06-07 UHL championship year. Dave even had the chance to go down to the ice with the team and hoist the championship cup.
- Knowing Dave's deep religious convictions, we asked if he was offended by the colorful language that is so prevalent in hockey. Dave replied that he was not at all offended, that we all come from the same place.
For those of you who miss the CHL, here is a Minneapolis Millers' program cover from the 1933-34 season. Note the cost of a whopping 5 cents!
Did you know: The Stingray's ECHL record 23 game win streak began with the formation of the high scoring line of Andrew Rowe, Wayne Simpson, and Derek DeBlois. Also, Stingray's defenseman, Lee Moffie, played for the Denver Cutthroats against Allen in the CHL playoffs last year.