- It was a quiet night around the ECHL and AHL last night with just one game on tap yesterday and that game started at 11:00 am to accommodate the attendees. The last place Brampton Beast beat the second place Quad City Mallards 5-2 before the first sellout crowd (5020) in team history. It was a "Beast School Promotion" where corporate sponsors bought tickets and donated them to area school children. With the Quad City loss Allen maintains the 18 point lead they have in the Central Division. Allen is on the way to Quad City where they will play the Mallards Wednesday night. Quad City actually had the shorter trip as they had to travel 649 miles to get home from Brampton while Allen's trip to Quad City is 790 miles.
- Happy Birthday to Aaron Gens who turns 28 today and Anthony Maiani who is 26.
-Thought today would be a good day to to take a look at individual and teams statistics to see what might have changed given the struggles Allen has encountered over the last month. The Americans still lead the ECHL in points (76) and winning
- When you consider there are 28 teams in the ECHL, if a player is in
the top fifteen in any statistical category that is quite impressive so
to see the numerous categories that are dominated by Allen players is
amazing. Will try to illustrate this below by
listing the top three players on the team with their stat and then where
they rank in the league in that stat. I have included Jack Combs as there is a chance he could return to Allen.
Points - Costello 85 (#1), Steffes 57 (#5), Combs 56 (#7)
Goals - Steffes 35 (#1), Costello 26 (#3), Combs 22 (#11)
Assists - Costello 59 (#1), Combs 34 (#7), Gens 29 (#22)
Power Play Goals - Steffes 14 (#1), Schultz 7 (#7), Tyler Ludwig 6 (#19)
Power Play Assists - Costello 20 (#1), Gens 12 (#7), Combs 11 (#13)
Shorthanded Goals - Hanson 4 (#1), Six tied with one
Game Winning Goals - Steffes 7 (#3), Combs 6 (#4), Hanson 5 (#(9)
Penalty Minutes - Lyon 256 (#1), Gens 166 (#9), Clarke 132 (#18)
Plus/Minus - Costello +30 (#2), Hanson & Steffes +25 (#4)
Shots On Goal - Steffes 186 (#5), Costello 167 (#9), Schaafsma 137 (#44)
Points By Defenseman - Gens 36 (#2), Baker 33 (#5), Young 32 (#7)
GAA - Gill 2.61 (#15)
Save Percentage - Gill .913 (#10)
Goalie Wins - Gill 25 (#1)
Minutes Played - Gill 2205 (#2)
Allen defensemen dominate the statistics for defensemen. They occupy
four of the top twelve spots in scoring by defensemen with Gens (#2), Baker (#5), Young (#7), and Tyler Ludwig (#12). No other team has more than
two in the top sixteen. Tyler Ludwig is #2 in goals scored (13) and #3
in power play goals (6), Aaron Gens #2 is assists (29) and power play
assists (12), Gens is #2 in penalty minutes (166), Justin Baker is #3 in
shooting percentage (15.7%), and Gens is #3 in plus/minus
you somehow combined all team statistics Allen would come out on top. Here is how the Americans
the 28 team ECHL in some of the statistical categories. The first number
is Allen's number and the second number is how they rank in the ECHL.
Win Percentage - .745 (#1)
Points - 76 (#1)
Average Goals For - 4.12 (#1)
Average Goals Against - 2.82 (#7)
Average Shot For - 32.84 (#2)
Average Shots Against - 30.00 (#18)
Power Play Percentage - 20.2% (#4)
Penalty Kill Percentage - 88.4% (#1)
Average Penalty Minutes - 23.00 (#2)
Win % When Scoring First - .839 (#7)
Longest Winning Streak - 9 games (#4)
Longest Home Winning Steak - 11 games (#1)
Team Plus/Minus - +217 (#2)
Goal Differential - +66 (#2)
Home Wins - 19 (#1)
Road Wins - 16 (#4)
There are some stats where Allen is close to the bottom of
the league. Penalty shots is one of those stats as Allen is 0-2 on
penalty shots (Combs & Schaafsma) and in the only penalty shot
against the Americans, Missouri scored a goal. Allen is ranked #23
(.333) when games go to overtime as they are 4-6. Allen ranks #23 in shoot out attempts at 25% (7-28). The Americans rank #17
in attendance with an average of 4019.
FORMER PLAYER UPDATES:
Haven't taken a look at how some of the former Allen Americans players are doing for a while so here is the latest:
Mike Berube (1 goal 12 assists) and Bruce Graham (15 goals 19 assists) are
teammates in England (Nottingham Panthers). Bruce missed some time recently with a broken foot but is now back in the lineup. Nottingham is currently in fourth place in the league standings. Bruce is an alternate captain on
the team. Bruce and Whitney Graham are expecting their third child.
- Trevor Hendrikx (4 goals 10 assists) plays
for Cardiff (Wales) and is one of, if not the most popular player on the
team. He is an alternate captain for the Devils.
His team is tied for second place in the standings only three points out of first
place. Trevor leads the team in penalty minutes with 162.
- Anthony Maiani (9 goals 32 assists) with 41 points in 35 games is having a good year in Denmark but his team (Rungsted) is
struggling and is in seventh place in the ten team league. Anthony leads
his team in scoring.
- Scott Howes (25 goals 20
assists) has 45 points in 28 games and also plays in Denmark (Esbjerg). Scott leads his team in goals. Esjberg is in fourth place in the ten team league.
- Jonathan Lessard has played in 39 games (12 goals 14 assists) for the Bakersfield Condors this year. He has been hot recently having six points in his last four games (3 goals 3
assists). Bakersfield is in sixth place in the ECHL Western Division and in danger of not making the playoffs.
- Jarret Lukin (10
goals 16 assists) and Jim McKenzie
(4 goals 11 assists) are teammates in Evansville where they were playing for
former Allen coach Dwight Mullins until he was fired and replaced by Al Sims. Jarret is an alternate captain on the
team. It has been a tough year for Evansville as they have the worst record and fewest points in the entire league.
- Kale Kerbashian started the year with Evansville but was traded to Rapid City at the end of January where he has thrived and has been a big part of the Rapid City resurgence in the standings. Kale had 28 points in 37 games in Evansville. Since he has arrived in Rapid City he has played in 10 games and has 13 points (5 goals 8 assists). He has scored in nine of the ten games with the Rush.
- Garrett Klotz (1 goal 2
assists) plays for the expansion Indy Fuel coached by former Missouri
Mavericks coach Scott Hillman. Garrett is an alternate captain on the team. It has been a difficult year for Klotz with injuries as he has only played in 26 games and is ranked #98 in the ECHL in penalty minutes after leading the CHL in PIM's last year with 257. His team is in sixth place in the North Division standings but are in the thick of the battle for a playoff spot.
Darryl Bootland (15 goals 10 assists) is playing his usual role of
agitator supreme for the Colorado Eagles. He has 195 penalty minutes which ranks him #4 in the ECHL. He is also an alternate
captain on the team. Booter started out the season slow in the scoring department but has been leading the team recently. He has twelve goals in the last fifteen games including three game winners. Colorado is currently leading the
Pacific Division of the ECHL and will be a team to be reckoned with come playoff time.
Daniel Tetrault (6 goals 18 assists) plays for the Rapid City Rush and
is another of the many players from last year's championship team that
is an alternate captain. A true warrior who has been a leader everywhere he has played. One of the oldest players in the league yet a real "Ironman" as Daniel has not missed a game in the last two years. After spending the majority of the season in sixth or seventh place in the Central Division, Rapid City is now playing the best hockey in the Division and are in a playoff spot. The Rush are 8-2 in their last ten games.
- Bryan Pitton (GAA 1.84 Save % .935) is
having a great year playing in Poland (KH Sanok). He ranks second in the league
in GAA and save percentage. Josef Fojtik and Patrik Valcak played in this league before joining Allen and say Pitton's team is the best team in the league. The Polish league has a long drawn out playoff.
Yellow Horn (21 goals 38 assists) plays for the Nippon Paper Cranes in
the Asia League. He has 59 points in 47 games and leads his team in
scoring. His team is in sixth place in a nine team league.
- Alex Lavoie is one of the best players on one of the best teams in the ECHL playing for the Florida Everblades. Alex is not scoring at the pace he did last year when he had 76 points in 60 games for the Allen Americans and was named the CHL Rookie of the Year. Alex is the third leading scorer on the Everblades team with thirty seven points (12 goals 25 assists) in forty four games. One of the reasons for the drop off in points is that is appears Alex is not getting the power play time in Florida that he did in Allen.
- Austin Smith only played nine games for Allen this year before leaving to play in Germany for the Ravensburg Towerstars. The Dallas native has played in 27 games for Ravensburg and has 39 points (22 goals 17 assists) and was selected to the league's all-star team. His team is in fifth place in a fourteen team league.
DID YOU KNOW: There were 36 different players on the Allen Americans roster in the inaugural season of 2009-2010. Only four of them are still playing professional hockey.
Jordie Benn - Dallas Stars (NHL)
Bruce Graham - Nottingham Panthers (EIHL)
Jarret Lukin - Evansville IceMen (ECHL)
Colton Yellow Horn - Nippon Paper Cranes (Asia League)