Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Follow Up From Yesterday On Former Players

I wanted to mention a couple of items I noticed this morning as a follow up to the post yesterday about former players:

- Colton Yellow Horn had another hat trick last night in a 5-3 victory as his Ontario Reign defeated the Bakersfield Condors. He now has 29 goals which is seven more than anyone else in the league and his 47 points are second in the league. And he is not on the all star team!!! What is wrong with this picture? All Star week is next week in Colorado. I sure hope they have a chance to rectify this wrong as I would assume some replacements will be needed as several players named to the all star team have moved up to the AHL.

- I didn't mention Trevor Hendrikx (2011-2012) yesterday in my former player post. Trevor started this year with the San Francisco Bulls (ECHL) and was released and then signed by the Bakersfield Condors in early November. He has three goals, seven assists, is a -6 and has 66 penalty minutes in 24 games playing for the worst team in the ECHL. I heard an unsubstantiated rumor he has been talking to the Americans about returning to Allen if some of the current defensemen get promoted  to the AHL.Trevor played for Martinson when he coached in Elmira in 2007-2008. Incidently, Jim McKenzie (2011-2012) was also on that team.

- Steve Kaunisto (2011-2012) who played here briefly last year (10 games) signed yesterday and played last night with Dwight Mullins and the Elmira Jackals (ECHL). He had been playing in the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) for the Mississippi River Kings.

I plan on attending practice today and will post this afternoon if I get any information worth reporting. I am working on a story about the Americans bus and hope to talk to the bus driver today. I have been getting a few stories from the players about traveling by bus during their hockey careers. If anyone knows of a good bus story please let me know.

I am also working on a story about one of the hockey wives. Hope to post it this weekend. It will be a combination of getting to know her and also learn more about what it is like to be the wife or girlfriend of an Allen Americans player living in North Texas.

1 comment: