- Allen took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission and the talk amongst the fans was they had just witnessed the best all around first period of hockey the Americans had played all season. The excitement quickly changed in the second period as a series of defensive lapses and turnovers led to three unanswered Tulsa goals by the 11:32 mark of the period. The Americans got their second power play goal of the game at 13:14 of the second period when Chad Costello (7) put in a rebound of a Greger Hanson shot from the point to cut the score to 3-2. That is as close as Allen would get. The Americans out shot Tulsa 9-6 in the third period but could not get the equalizer as Tulsa goalie Jamie Phillips made several outstanding saves which earned him the #1 star of the game. The Oilers finished the scoring with an empty net goal with 13 seconds remaining in the game to make the final score 4-2.
- It was a tough loss for Allen who keep getting close but can't get back to the .500 mark and that isn't a very lofty goal for this team. They are still in fourth place in the Mountain Division but have played several more games than the other teams.
- There is certainly some good news as the Americans get ready to take on the Oilers in a rematch tonight. They out shot Tulsa 32-24 last night and have a 148-111 shot advantage in the four games they have played against the Oilers this season. The power play has scored only nine goals all season (9-91) but in the last two games Allen is 3-9 on the power play.
STEVE MARTINSON'S POST GAME COMMENTS
- It was frustrating that we finally get a couple of power play goals and then we have those soft plays in the second period. We played really physical in the first period and we played hard but their goalie came up with some great saves.
- For three games now we have played really good defense and we did again in the first period tonight. We held them to one shot until the four on four at around the 11 minute mark. After the good start I thought for sure this was momentum we were going to build on.
- We are not generating as much offense as we need to generate. I will make some changes to the line up for tomorrow night. Kale Kerbashian is close to being ready and he wants to get back in the line up so we will see on him.
- David Makowski, who I just signed will be here Monday and will play on Wednesday and should help our power play with the way he can hammer pucks at the net. Eric Roy will be out two more weeks with his injury.
- One of the reasons I put Greger Hanson on the point on the power play is because he has a hard shot. He took that shot from the top of the circle and we scored on the rebound. That is what happens when you shoot the puck hard, you get rebounds.
- I haven't had a chance to look at their goals as there was a problem with the feed I get in my office but I think there were a couple of weak plays that allowed them to score. It was certainly the case on the second goal with a turnover right in front of our goalie.
- We are getting all of our offense from a handful of guys. We have some guys that haven't scored since the beginning of the season, some of the new guys with a history of scoring aren't scoring and some of the guys that have scored a few goals haven't scored lately. While we are playing hard and playing better defensively we need more guys putting the puck in the net.
- More of our players should watch how Harrison Ruopp plays. He is a really nice guy off the ice, kind of quiet, but he is a nasty guy to play against. If we had 16 guys playing like Ruopp it would be hard to beat us.
- The Allen power play has improved the last couple of games but overall scoring has become a problem. The Americans have not had more than two goals in the last five games. In that same five game period Allen is averaging exactly one even strength goal per game.
- There will be a lot going on tonight in addition to what should be a heck of a hockey game. Here is a list:
1. Allen will be wearing San Jose teal colored specialty jerseys for what is labeled "affiliation night" and they will be auctioned after the game. The San Jose Sharks have been a great partner with the Americans so would expect these jerseys will be very popular.
2. Tonight is the annual "Teddy Bear Toss" game so bring a teddy bear or any other stuffed animal to toss on the ice after the first Allen goal.
3. The Ice Angels Calendar Release Party takes place immediately after the game at Dodie's. Plenty of time to buy a jersey at the auction and then head over to Dodie's to get a calendar and have the Ice Angels autograph it. The Ice Angels calendar never disappoints! Check out this video "teaser" for the calendar release: https://youtu.be/i72A_qQHRAI
4. If you are attending the Allen High School football game today (2:00 pm) there is plenty of time to make to the Allen Americans game tonight (7:05 pm). Bring your ticket stub from the football game and you can attend the hockey game for $10. Now that is a bargain.
- Chad Costello had two points (1 goal 1 assist) last night and is now in his familiar spot atop the ECHL leaderboard with 28 points (7 goals 21 assists).
- It is like parents weekend around the Allen Event Center this weekend. I had the chance to meet Spencer Asuchak's mom, Harrison Ruopp's dad and Tanner Eberle's mom and dad after the game. It is always nice to meet the parents and sense the pride they have for their sons. Hope to meet some more family members after the game tonight.
- Chris Crane score again last night for Orlando. He has played in three games since being traded, has a goal in each game and the Solar Bears have won all three. Pretty good start.
- The attendance last night was a disappointing 3740 especially considering the team had been on the road so long. Allen has played eight home games with an average attendance of 4153. For the entire season last year Allen averaged 4571. The crowd tonight will be much better than last night.
PICS OF THE NIGHT COURTESY OF DIANNE WEBSTER
|Let's get this party started|
|Spencer Asuchak fist bumps a young fan|
|The eyes of a fighter|
|Where is the puck?|
|Harrison Ruopp with the save|
DID YOU KNOW: The Allen Americans had their highest average attendance in franchise history last season. Here is average attendance by season.
2016-17: 4153 (after eight games)