Friday, January 27, 2023

Allen Americans Official Statement Regarding Spencer Asuchak - Barry the Blogger Vents

 

 Those of you that read my blog regularly know that I rarely reply to comments other than to answer questions. I do this for two reasons. First I feel everyone is entitled to express their opinion even if it is different than mine. Second, if you engage those that make negative comments it usually becomes a back and forth with no resolution. 

 

- With that said I feel the many comments I have received over the last 10 days deserve a response. This all started when I made a decision to not get involved in the Spencer Asuchak incident. I made that decision myself and was not asked to do so by anyone with the Allen Americans. As I reflect back on my decision, it was based on the fact that my blog is about hockey, not the off ice conduct of the players, and Spencer is a friend and I didn't want that discussion on my blog. I deleted all comments related to this matter whether they were from supportive fans trying to get information or fans insisting I was covering up something or trying to sweep it in under the rug. As most of you know my blog is a labor of love, I don't make a cent from what I write and devote a lot of time for a single purpose of getting pertinent hockey information to avid Allen fans. I made the choice that was best for me and would do the same again.

 

- I also want to address some of the few negative comments I have received the last 10 days just to make clear how I have always operated the blog. Again, everyone is entitled to their own view. First and foremost I want to thank the vast majority of you that have called, emailed, texted or sought me out at a game to show you support and give me a pep talk. It was greatly appreciated.

 

- In this recent case concerning Asuchak and in the 10 years I have been writing the blog and specifically when I became the official blogger for the team, my agreement is I share my views in my my blog and nobody reviews what I write. What I write does not represent the views of the Allen Americans. I can assure you I have gotten plenty of feedback over the years over something I have written from every part of the organization, but I have never been told to take something out of the blog

 

- I take pride in trying to be fair and balanced in the blog. When I meet with the players at the beginning of the season one of the things I tell them is there will be no personal attacks in the blog, I will not throw you under the bus. But I will use stats to show where and when you and the team are under performing. I feel I have been honest in pointing out where I see problems in the front office or with ownership that impacts the on ice product. I have had two owners call me directly to discuss what I had written and let me know their point of view. I am clearly a fan, but go out of my way to be balanced in what I write. I have received that feedback from many fellow bloggers and members of the media over the years. If you feel I am a homer and only write positive stuff, it is hard for me to believe you read the blog regularly. I don't think a homer would predict Allen would miss the playoffs at Thanksgiving as I did this season. I am willing to eat crow if the team does in fact makes the playoff, but I am sticking to my guns which isn't a popular opinion around the rink.

 

- Finally, as it relates to the Asuchak incident, anyone who read into the fact I was deleting all comments, good or bad, that I was trying to cover it up or sweep it under the rug, could not be further from the truth. The only decision I made is I didn't want it discussed on my blog. My personal view was the team should have made some kind of statement as soon as it was made public. I made my views known at the time. I also respect the decision the team made not to say anything based on a lot of deliberation both inside and outside the organization. 

 

- I also appreciate the team has now decided to make an official statement regarding the Asuchak incident. This is what fans, bloggers, online media, TV stations and anyone else will hear from the Americans if they call to inquire. I am sure it won't satisfy everyone but for those that were hoping for a statement from the team here its is:

"We are aware of the incident surrounding Spencer Asuchak, and he will remain off our active roster indefinitely. Due to the legality of the matter, we have no further comment at this time."

 

- As for me I plan to return to my decision to not have this discussed on my blog by deleting any and all references to it. I believe everyone deserves their day in court and there are two sides to every story. Spencer has been a friend for over ten years and you care for your friends even when they are going through tough times. That is my plan going forward.      

 

- In closing I want to say what a privilege it is to share what I write for you every morning. It is never easy when some fans want to tear you down and it is discouraging at times. I know if  I was that unhappy with a blog I would either write my own or quit reading it. I am uplifted by the 99% of you that let me know all the time how much you appreciate the blog. I will continue to do my best knowing I can always do better and will strive do that until it is no longer fun. The plan was to quit writing everyday when Steve Martinson left but Chad Costello has welcomed me the same way Martinson had over the years. If it wasn't for the trust of the coach the blog would not have the inside information it provides. We all benefit from that relationship. Thanks for letting me vent and let's get back to hockey.        

18 comments:

  1. I certainly appreciate all your comments and insight on the Allen Americans. It definitely helps me understand the game better. Please keep on your labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the hard work Barry! I appreciate the autonomy your blog has and it wasn't your responsibility to fill the information gap regarding the Asuchak incident. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last 2 years the blog has seen an increase in negative post. Same with most spaces on the internet. Vocal minority.
    Keep up that hard work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate the post Barry. Good or bad, you're always fair. The only thing that I'll add is that anybody who is familiar with the Allen Amrricans should not be surprised that Tommy Daniels and his media department were slow to respond. The same response that the team just shared should have been done the 1st day the situation was announced, and then all would have been good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry. You know how how I feel about the job you do on the blog and for the fans of the Allen Americans. We are very lucky to have such a devoted person such as yourself to share your blog with us. It’s something I look forward to reading daily. Thank you again for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the work you do. I am glad you have not allowed the blog to become negative and go back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barry, we were season ticket holders for several years before moving back home to Arkansas. We still follow the team and watch all the games on FloHockey. I really enjoy reading your blog and you do a great job. I thank you for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not to pay you on the back too hard but you do an amazing job on this blog and it truly helps to keep up with the overall happenings in a league that is not covered by any media. Honestly, this incident is no one’s business except the team, the player, and his wife. This doesn’t make him any less of a fantastic hockey player and if people want to post negative crap about it, they can write their own blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blog and look forward to your take everyday. I was a little peeved at the decision by the Americans to not say anything

    ReplyDelete
  10. Without the blog, we’d never get any info on the team. Barry is the true media of the Allen Americans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've only begun reading the blog this season. I've found it to be the only place to get information regarding the games and the team without large gaps of info being left out. I appreciate your objectivity. I think the Americans should have made a statement sooner. None of us have the right to judge. I just hate how this is playing out in the local media. There are indeed two sides to every story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said. Thank you for continuing to write an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You’re the best, Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your work, Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Benjamin from FranceJanuary 31, 2023 at 1:37 PM

    Keep going Barry ! I'm a french hockey fan (not french-canadian, a french from Europe :-) ) ... Yes there are some hockey fans in France, and at least one of them (me !) closely follow the ECHL. Your blog is full of usefull informations and the only blog I know about the league and of course the Americans. Thank you very much for all your work, merci beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Benjamin, always great to hear from fans in Europe. As you know many former ECHL players are playing in Europe. Some former Allen players that have played in Ligue Magnus include Brian McMillin (Dijon), Jonathan Lessard (several teams), Steve Owre (Cergy-Pontoise) and Nikita Jevpalovs (Bordeaux) to name a few. Thanks for your support, Barry

      Delete
  16. Why was Zach Pochiro traded . I know he was t
    Performing well. But they just sent him out to pasture?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barry we've been there since the beginning seeing all the Kelly Cups won and enjoying win or lose. I have several friends and family members that tell me all about your blog making there no reason for me to have to read it. I never h3ar anything negative from any of them. We true Allen fans win or lose appreciate all th3 hard work.

    ReplyDelete